Running All electrical outlets from power conditioners? also

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Russian Recording

Running All electrical outlets from power conditioners? also

Post by Russian Recording »

Hi

Im getting ready to move into a new facility. It's really large.

Anyhow, I was considering doing the following. PLease let me know if those sounds like a bad idea....

-install a new isolated ground for the control room and tracking rooms

-install two new separate 20A circuits, one for the tracking rooms and one for the control room

-use one Furman AR-20 power condition to run all the outlets for the control room, and another for all the outlets to the tracking rooms. I would still run conduit and everything, only I'd run the outlets straight from the power conditions. Does this sound like a stupid idea? if so.... why?

thanks so much. this place rules.

best,
mike
masp84

Post by masp84 »

AR-20 is a voltage regulator only for 20amp cicuits, you still need to puchase power conditioners that do a different task, and if you want balanced power you'll need a decopling unit like furman IT20 with a balanced isolation transformer, but I don't think that's necessary for a small recording studio. I'm wiring my studio this way:

1 x Furman AR-20 for voltage regulator connected to a 20amp circuit
3 x Furman PR-8 for Power conditioning hooked to the AR-20 for all the gear.

I'll use One of the PR-8 to feed the outlets on the studio room, because if I throw a separate 20amp circuit for the other room I'd need to get another AR-20 and they're not cheap as you can see. Besides I don't know if you can run 15amp rated gear on a 20amp circuit I would not advice it-

I'll also have 1 15amp circuit dedicated to hook a UPS for the Computer, LCDs, and another one for lights, or any other electrodomestics.

It'd be a good idea to have 2 x independent 20amp circuits inside your control room if you want to expand in the future.

That's sounds like a good Idea to me, if I had to ask something it'd be if 1 20amp circuit would suffice for 2 Racks, 8 units each.
Last edited by masp84 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masp84

Post by masp84 »

Keep in mind the circuits must have different phases, and they must be grounded properly. If you can have one aux breaker appart from the one in your house to feed your studio the better
stuntbutt

Re: Running All electrical outlets from power conditioners?

Post by stuntbutt »

Russian Recording wrote: -install a new isolated ground for the control room and tracking rooms
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Just making sure that you don't intend to use a ground that isn't tied to the existing ground. That is a potentially lethal situation.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

My studio is wired with the studio circuits (6) all on the same phase...and sharing the same ground... No problems.

I used Monster Power AVP 2000 for the Control Room and Speakers and Pro 7000s/5100s for the studio outlets.

Rather expensive but worth every penny!
Meow Mix
116 Pleasant St STE 011
Easthampton, MA 01027
413-348-0591
meowmix48@gmail.com