West Penn cable question

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

digiblue

West Penn cable question

Post by digiblue »

I am planning on using Wes Penn25292B for most of my cabling in between tracking rooms and control rooms. Will be using it for in-wall mic inputs to an ADC patch bay in the control room normalled to micpres and for instrument/line level/headphone ports in the tracking rooms. I am just curious if anyone sees a problem with this cable. Most people around here talk about using Mogami/Canare etc. cable. However, I do alot of paging and AV installs so I have access to in-wall install type cable like this. I can see no reason to use patch cable rubber type jacketed cable in the permanent installed cables nor a reason to use a snake when I have thousands of feet of this cable laying around. Please see the link and let me know if there i any reason why I shouldn;t use this cable/

http://www.westpenn-wpw.com/index.php?n ... ber_search
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Greetings Digiblue,

Where I work, we are a WPW dealer. I too have access to any of this cable, but I installed Mogami, if this gives you my suggestion about it.

For starters, this is a plenum rated cable, so over time it will break down or get brittle if you ever have to handle it.

I don't have the time at the moment, but i've done A/B comparisons w/ Mogami & WPW, and there is definately a sound quality difference I noticed with other types of cable.

The stuff is great for commercial av applications and 70 volt systems or running page mic and those things, but if you're trying to get the best sounds and signals, i'd go w/ a higher end cable. If you were just using it as a temp cable, or if you had Belden cable (can't think of the number at the moment), i'd even suggest that.

Do you have a way to mock up a mogami mic cable and one of those WPW cables, to see if you notice a difference?

Do you have any 291?
digiblue

Post by digiblue »

yes, I have or can easily get the 291. For what reaon though? PVC instead of plenum? The 291 is 22awg as compared to the 20awg I referenced earlier. The problem isn't as much that I have the West Penn cable in stock its more that I can not get Mogami or similair through my suppliers. I can get West Penn, Belden, Berktek, General, Commscope etc all day long so I am looking for the best posible in-wall installed cable that I can easily get from my regular suppliers. (graybar, csc, anixter).
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Here's the link to the Mogami specs. (takes a minute to download...7MB).

ftp://ftp.mogami-wire.co.jp/pub/mit/catalog.pdf

Here's the Belden specs. (I'd use Belden before the WPW).

http://belden.com/pdfs/03Belden_Master_ ... atalog.pdf

I've seen Belden used in several studios/consoles/post houses, etc.
digiblue

Post by digiblue »

Can you suggest a specific Belden part no.? Belden has many options.