translation of material names (spanish-english)

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

jashwa

translation of material names (spanish-english)

Post by jashwa »

hey spanish speakers please help me figure out how to translate the names of all of these materials.

oye hispano hablantes porfa ayudame traducir los nombres de estos materiales para la construccion:

703, 705 and similar products(I think this is a denser type of ¨lana de vidrio,¨ but no hardware store can even tell me a brand name)

rockwool (¨lana de piedras¨ if i say that no one knows what im talking about)

fibreboard (I think that maybe ¨triplex¨ is the same thing, but im not sure- just like the brand name kleanex came to become the word for tissue i think that triplex has become the standard word for ¨aglomerados.¨

on John´s coefficient chart is this:
Fiberglass board (100mm(4") thick) (including other thicknesses)
is this the same thing as 703 (i understand that 703 is a brandname but all of that denser fiberglass insulation)
i am pretty sure that it must be because they want to charge me
$1,500 USD for a 1m x 1m board of ¨fibra de vidrio¨ which is the hard kind that they use for shaping car parts and all that.

I searched through the engine for people from other Andean countries posting about products- there was a guy in Colombia posting about some building materials that aren´t the ones I want. So anyone in my region, especially Ecuador please tell me where I can find all this stuff.

todos andinos porfa dime donde puedo encontrar los materiales.

thanks to everyone,
josh
Edo Peters

Re: translation of material names (spanish-english)

Post by Edo Peters »

jashwa wrote:hey spanish speakers please help me figure out how to translate the names of all of these materials.
rockwool (¨lana de piedras¨ if i say that no one knows what im talking about)
First of all, I don't speak Spanish, but a friend of mine who DOES, suggested "lanas mineral" for rockwool and "panel de fibras de madera" for fibreboard.

Good luck!
Regards,

Edo
jashwa

Post by jashwa »

i figured it out.
it was lanas de vidrio as i thought, but most panels came in a density of 12kg/m3. I later found a factory in another province that makes it in 22kg/m3, and they said that they can make me double density panels, i.e. 44 kg/m3. so im go. it costs a good deal more than 703 in the states (30 cents more per square foot), but i would probably pay more than that if i were to import. Im going to look into the best option and post so future ecuadorian studio builds can benefit. thanks for you help though. i think it is likely that lanas mineral is the name of the material in another spanish speaking country.