Soffit mounting Genelec 8040

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Steve

Post by Steve »

Hallo everyone,

In The ''Soffit mounting of Genelec 8050?'' threat Knightfly is not mentioning the opening at the front of the bazel which Genelec's mount box which I thing must be very important for the LF of the speaker.http://www.genelec.com/documents/other/ ... t_kits.pdf

I have talked with the Genelec's support and they told me that:
a) The 8040A has the opening of the reflex port in the back and for a proper operation of the port the air pulsated in the port has to be radiated inside the room. So, that the rear opening has to be channeled to the front part of the speaker or more precisely inside the room. If this is not happening, then I will have serious compromise in the LF response of the speaker.

So is the size of this opening maters? or if i place the speaker in the box and make a bazel to fit the speaker's front will it be ok? Any guests on how big this opening might be for a proper LF response of the 8040A

He also said that:
b) technically the speaker does not need to be in that box - there should just be a way for the air coming out of the vent (which is not warm at all) to be radiated inside the room. Of course the cavity behing the speaker and the opening inside the room are all critical for a proper LF response. This is why Genelec offer a simple kit that will make sure you have the best out of your 8040A in the whole frequency spectrum. Yes but it's to much 650€.

So, How can I construct the soffits to make the air from the back of the speaker to be radiated in the room? Do i need to let an opening on the bottom back of the box and also in the top and bottom of the soffit?

Also, the other think is, that in the Genelec's kit you have to take off the rubber base of the speaker and skrew it to the iron base of the soffit box kit. Would it be the same if i leave it with the rubber base, place it in the soffit box with its rubber base? Any thoughts on that? I would like to be more sure about which option is better before i attempt it.

Thanks in advance
steve

:shock:
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

maybe don't soffit mount them? you're going to compromise the speaker response regardless (with a soffit) because the response is based on the speaker being in proximity to the wall boundaries etc. so even ducting it to allow the bass from the rear of the speaker to go out the front of the soffit isn't likely to be "accurate" compared to the intended design... the baffle extension is going to cause the speaker to produce a higher bass level anyways so as long as the rear port isn't blocked - you might be ok - EXCEPT - you might just want to put the speakers on stands and build out nice bass trapping and angles where you would have put the soffits...
Glenn
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the replay Glenn!

Yes is to risky, might not work. I am thinking not to soffit mount them, I will make 30 degrees angles and place them on stands.

However, i might in the future change 8040A and want to soffit mound the new ones so i made ducting for power and audio signal.

i am aware of the different bass traps you can make but what kind of bass traps would you recommend so in the future if i change the speakers i can turn them in to soffits?

This Is an attempt to design the CR I am learning sketch up :shock:

What do you thing? I need some guideance on the bass traps the rezonators and the rear wall any comments on the design?

All the best
steve
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i would build the soffits with the space for the new monitors but just seal the monitor opening with a single plate and add some porous absorption over that. then the rest of the soffit structure would have trapping above and below and not have to be changed later.
Glenn
sonicparticle

Re: Soffit mounting Genelec 8040

Post by sonicparticle »

I am resurrecting this old thread as I am considering the possibily about soffit-mounting my 8040s.

Has anyone else done that?

The pdf for the Genelec soffit mounting enclosuse is here:

https://assets.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn055a ... _final.pdf

and if the enclosure and speaker sit snuggly in the wall I cannot see how the LF from the rear port could get in the room.

Could any share more information please?