Genelec 1032A

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

LDQ

Genelec 1032A

Post by LDQ »

Hi all,

Has anyone had some experience soffit mounting Genelecs 1032As nearfield monitors. :?: According to Genelec, the maximum listening distances based on dispersion and acoustic output for stereo environments for 1032A ...is 8 feet. In my situation the sweet spot will be around 5.5 to 6 feet so I guess that part is ok. But would I have base problems since these monitors are nearfields???

Regards, :wink:

Luis.
charoo

http://www.homer.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66

Post by charoo »

please check here, must be help you :

http://www.homer.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66

John has also came up with some new solution that is replacing soffit mounting and enforcing flush mount of 1032A. What one has to do is just order the 1032A option in which the amp part (on the rear of monitor) is coming seprated (dettached one). The amp part gonna flush mount next and below to the monitor in seprate box for on-off and eq. Better you can understand by going through the post and specially the pix on it.

luv
charoo
charoo

in case of main monitoring

Post by charoo »

well my early post can be a bit help (always supplied by John) if someone wanna use 1032A as a main monitoring and to be flush mount.

regards
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

what charoo is refering to is this quote from Genelec's web site:

A rack mount adapter is available so that the amplifier section can be positioned separately from the cabinet when soffit mounting. This allows for better & easier amplifier cooling and easier access to the Tone Control DIP switches during in-room system calibration.
It looks like this:

cheers
JOhn
LDQ

Thanks John and Charoo

Post by LDQ »

I understand what you saying saying...my question was more towards sound...and dealing with the bass. Any thoughts??
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

well - as you can see from my previous post Genelec expects soffit mounting as an option so I'm sure there will be the appropriate controls to allow for the bass response.

cheers
john
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Nearfields are designed with a -6dB high shelf filter to compensate for the fact that the low frequencies radiate omni directionally, while the high frequencies (wavelengths small compared to the cabinet dimensions) radiate only in the forward hemisphere. This filter flattens the on-axis anechoic response. Of course, the problem with this method is that the total power response is no longer flat. More bass energy is emitted into the room than high frequency energy.

Soffit mounting effectively creates an infinite speaker baffle, so the entire spectrum radiates only into the forward hemisphere. The high shelf filter is no longer necessary and both the on-axis anechoic response and the power response are flat. The way you set this up with the 1032A's is to turn all the EQ setting off except the Bass Tilt Control which should be set to -6dB.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

Barefoot or John, what small or med size monitors would you recommend??? I was looking at the Mackie's. Also, would mounting them cause bad responses from the passive drive in the rear of the HR824's??r

Docta'J
www.nukmusic.com
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Personally I take the religious fundamentalists position when it comes to loudspeakers. I find it morally reprehensible to recommend anyone's monitors but my own - because I'm convinced my way is right and they're all wrong. ;)

No, the Mackies with their rear passive radiator aren't a good choice for soffit mounting. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many good choices available right now.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

I also have a change to get a pair of Alesis Monitor Two's that are specified as Mid-fields(10" woofer, 4" mid, 1" tweet) since my control room really won't be to big. On your thoughts...would you recommend soffit mounting larger monitors(10" and up) or would small sizes be good too?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Thomas - what if you were to soffit mount a pair of Mackies. Sure the rear port would be lost but wouldn't it be made up by the soffit mount??

cheers
JOhn
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Docta'J ,

I'm unfamiliar with the details of the Monitor Two, so I can't say for sure whether it work or not. It appears to have a rear port, so this would make soffit mounting very difficult. Any size speaker can be soffit mounted as long as it's designed for that application.

John,

No, the soffit doesn't make up for the lack of a rear port, or passive radiator (PR) in this case. First of all you would need a large enough volume behind the monitor in order to avoid interfering with the acoustic alignment of the PR. Also the rear cavity needs to block and dissipate all the PR energy to avoid phase interference problems in the control room. Otherwise, the motion of the PR needs to be completely mechanically defeated. In any case this will raise the -3 dB bass cutoff by almost an octave. The bass response will benefit from vastly improved damping and a much shallower -12 dB/octave roll off, but low end extension is still significantly reduced.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

Barefoot...Let me ask this way.................

What speakers, other than your own have you soffit mount or heard soffit mounted that you really enjoyed? (mid-priced monitors-$3000 and under, etc). I'm also lookingthrough your site.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Under $3000?.... errrumm... None.

Seriously, they're just not out there as far as I'm aware. There seems to be a fairly sharp divison between mains and nearfields. Mains are designed for soffit mounting and nearfields almost invarably are not. Mains also tend to be as expenive as all hell, while nearfileds are often affordable.

There are always the Genelecs. Can't say I'm a big fan, but they're still a good speaker. Haven't heard them soffit mounted, but I imagine they'd do just fine.

Btw, my website needs a major overhaul. The designs I have posted are very old.
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound