where is my knight in shining armor?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

terrible_buddhist

Post by terrible_buddhist »

never mind on the dead side...just re-read and saw this in one of your postings:

For your Dead end, you can just mount 1" 703 about 1" in front of the resonator panels, and you'll still get the bass trap effect but with a deader upper mid and high end. If you make these portable, you can kind of "tune" the room to your tastes easier.

thank you...btw, any cad drawings or the like for the slot panels would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

We are going to finish framing the straight wall this weekend (found some killer solid core doors at grossmans bargain outlet for $20 a piece!) and then get on to the bass traps and slot panels.

For this room, what is going to be the best way to do the straight wall? My thought is rockwool, and 2 layers of drywall...then airgap (in between this room and the control room and vocal booth) then on the control room and vocal booth side, rockwool again and 2 layers of drywall.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

On your wall construction, it sounds like you have the basic theory down (2 leaves, one air space TOTAL) but you will get better isolation between rooms if you make one leaf DIFFERENT in some way from the other leaf of any wall. This can be something like an extra layer of 3/8 sheet rock between the two layers on one leaf of the wall, or a layer of particle board or OSB between layers, anything to change the resonant characteristics of ONE of the two leaves of the wall. Reason for this is that if both leaves of a wall are identical, then they will also have identical WEAKNESSES, which will let certain frequencies go through the wall.

I talked to one builder who was very unhappy with their walls, passed 44 hZ loud enough to be a distraction - they had used two layers of 5/8 rock on each side of their walls, and the way they had constructed the walls both leaves ended up resonant at 44 hZ. They simply added a layer of 3/8 wallboard to ONE of the leaves, and the problem ceased to exist...

Don't have CAD drawings of any of John's absorber designs yet, but will try to draw up something in an 8'wide, 2' deep unit if I get time in the next few days. If so, I'll post it as a PDF so I can maintain some resolution for you... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
terrible_buddhist

hey knight...just wondering if you have had a chance to break open CAD yet...if no, no biggie.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

No, sorry - life seems to be taking great pains to make sure I get further behind lately, so it may be a while. If you are having specific problems I can probably answer questions for awhile most days, but precision drawing takes more than just "top of the head" answers. As you're aware, different building materials come in different sizes, so there are all those details to keep in mind when drawing to scale, etc... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
terrible_buddhist

the way my 'construction crew' has been going, I think I have some time :)