FINISHED IN 2020! Sharward's Partial Garage Conversion

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

guitardad72

Post by guitardad72 »

Keith,

You lost me on your silencer design. I can't see any baffles in the box? Are they not shown in the picture, are you adding them after or your not planning on using baffles inside the box?

I'm designing my silencer boxes based on Rod's Diagram:
http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=16137

Just wondering.

Marc
As of Jun 2011, have not finished studio. But working as The One Man Band Marc Dobson which hopefully will continue up my career to a point where I can afford to finish my build.
sharward

Post by sharward »

There's one baffle in each box. It's a 2x6 with duct liner on each side. There's about 3" of clearance above it, which is difficult to see in the picture. The air enters the box at one and towards the bottom, then it has to go above the 2x6 and then back down again through the metal box that will hold the register. I would have liked to have done more but I would have had to have done 3 baffles and I don't think they'd be far enough apart to be effective.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
johnz

Post by johnz »

hey keith, quick question; did you use an adhesive between the sheet metal and duct liner? i see some mechanical fasteners too.
thanks
my new guitar lesson website! work in progress!
http://www.goodguitarteacher.com

also check out http://www.johnzemanguitar.com
sharward

Post by sharward »

Actually, the duct liner doesn't attach to sheet metal. It attaches to OSB. I just used 1" self-tapping wood screws with fender washers.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
guitardad72

Post by guitardad72 »

Hmmmm,

May seem like a silly question but were you able to find a register box with a greater then 3/4" flange? Doesn't look like it, couple layers of drywall will be thicker than 3/4". So when the register itself goes up your just securing it to the drywall and any wood you might catch?

Marc
As of Jun 2011, have not finished studio. But working as The One Man Band Marc Dobson which hopefully will continue up my career to a point where I can afford to finish my build.
sharward

Post by sharward »

...and the sheet metal, yes.
sharward

Post by sharward »

I made the corrections to the HRV mounting.

Whereas it had been hanging on chains, now it is sitting atop four EPS foam blocks that I assembled from cut pieces of foam and packaging tape, then secured to the platform with steel strapping. It's a lot more sturdy now.

Here's a close-up of the condensate trap.

I also swapped the condensate lines that I somehow had reversed. :oops:

Yesterday I spent most of the day installing a cabinet in the garage and moving stuff around. I have 18 bags of Thermafiber insulation and I'm looking forward to having that inside my walls and ceiling rather than taking up precious space in the garage! :roll:

Before I take that on, though, I need to mount my switch, outlet, and light boxes. I don't have the luxury of just nailing them to the side of the stud due to the thickness of the layers of drywall I'll be installing :roll: so it will be rather time consuming.

--Keith :mrgreen:
Lou

Post by Lou »

Hey Keith - Been meaning to reply for the last couple of weeks or so!

Just a quick chime in to say how great it is to have you back with us! I know I'm not alone in expressing the fact that you've really been missed. (Much the same as Steve/Knightfly actually!)

Your trip for the AC reminded me so much of the skiing that I'm not doing yet again this year, that I could hardly bear to look! :wink: :wink:

Great progress my friend, keep 'em coming - the tennis can wait now!

Warmest regards to you, your good lady, and of course, your RX8!

Lou. 8)
jwl

Post by jwl »

*knock knock*

Studiogeekland to Sharward.... come in, Sharward.....

give us an update, buddy..... 8)
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
Ro

Post by Ro »

...yeah, what up with Keith? He like, euh, chickened out or something ? :twisted:
studio_drums

Post by studio_drums »

Keith, stop creating obstacles for yourself and finish the studio!

We're all pulling for you!
JohnGardner

Post by JohnGardner »

Come on Keith!!
When I joined this forum you had already started your build.
That was years ago now.
I can't beleive you still haven't finished.
what are you waiting for mate.
Those drums of yours need a beating!!
JG
BradJacob

Post by BradJacob »

Failed project.

- Brad

www.theSecretSystemBand.com

"...over the years, 'the-blues' has raised many children..."
sharward

Post by sharward »

Not failed -- postponed, but I have picked it up again.

I have been working on this, but I have had a number of distractions in my life. I'm fine, the wife is fine, etc., but I have had to make some tough decisions regarding how I would spend my days and weeks for the past several months.

I have an inspection due in the next couple of weeks that I have to have done or I risk lapsing my permit... So I'm afraid I can't afford to post my blow-by-blow updates here right now like I used to. But I will try my best to drop by now and then to report the goings on. Once I get this inspection out of the way, I should be able to take a breath.

--Keith :mrgreen:
Ro

Post by Ro »

Hi Keith, sure hope to see you more often here on the forum buddy.