Do you recomend premade Double Glazing Windows ?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

spickatto

Do you recomend premade Double Glazing Windows ?

Post by spickatto »

Hi everebody, thanks for your time. I have studied many websites but it seems that using thermal-double glazing windows is not contemplated, an architect friend of mine told me these windows are great. I will very much apreciate your comments.

best regards
Hectosr Castañon
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hectosr, the thermal windows are better than single glazed windows (that's not saying a lot) but their problems are that they use the same thickness in both layers of glass, and the glass layers are too thin and too close together to be very good at sound control.

A few higher end manufacturers make "sound rated" thermal windows, with a wider gap between glasses and different thickness in each glass - these are pretty expensive though - if you're on a budget and still want isolation, it's cheaper to find two different thicknesses of glass and do your own windows.

If these will be outside windows and you need them to open, I don't know of any cheap way of doing that. In that case, the higher cost might be worth it.

Here is a link to one of these type windows -

http://www.soundproofwindows.com/

I just went to google and typed soundproof windows manufacturer in the box, that's one that actually looked like it would work. Be aware that some advertisers don't understand sound proofing, so it's best to check back if you find something you're interested in, and I'll look at it and comment if you like... Steve