in wall cable for computer monitor

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Teflon

in wall cable for computer monitor

Post by Teflon »

Okay so I think I might have screwed up. I've run 1 inch conduit in my wall to feed a computer monitor cable through to my voice booth. The rock is up and the mudding is almost done. My plan was to buy 2 DVI wall plates and wire a cable between them in the wall. I know a bit about wiring audio but I don't know jack about computer cables. Based on what I've seen for sale apparently I should have used 3 inch conduit so I could feed a cable with the connectors attached through the wall and attach that to the wall plates.

2 questions:

1. Anybody every solder a DVI cable and if so how hard is it?

2. Do you have any thoughts on a better way to get a feed through there for not too much money? The monitor I have will use either VGA or DVI. It's about a 20 foot run counting the snaking through the wall. I budgeted for a DVI cable (pricey) and I don't really want to spend the cash on those DVI to Cat5 converters if I don't have too.

Thanks.
Teflon

Re: in wall cable for computer monitor

Post by Teflon »

Okay, I found a helpful site that sells the connectors: http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI-Connectors.html and the pinouts are easily found through google. Now I just need to find some cable.

I was going to delete my post but then decided it might be useful if anybody ever has the same question.
carsten_d

Post by carsten_d »

hello Teflon,

I soldered once one DVI cable and have to admit (though I love tricky soldering stuff) I would under all circumstances try to avoid it.
my cable was really stiff and thick. a horror to fix it to the plugs. the inner cables were the opposite. fllimsy like hell. they are all
colour coded (wikipedia has all the information you need)
VGA is a lot easyer to solder cause it needs less cables ;)

not sure what kind of dvi you monitor can handle but digital (DVI-I or DVI-D) is quite sensitive. I had to shorten my cable 3 times
until it worked. before you start soldering try your computer-monitor config with a cable that long you need. and keep in mind that
every plug connection weakens your signal.

VGA and DVI-A is relative safe. worst case would be a slightly blurry image.

cheers,
carsten
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Maybe you could just run ordinary CAT-5 Ethernet cable, and get a couple of these converters:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/dvi-to-cat5-c ... ender.html

Or these:

http://www.kvmstuff.com/dvi-extender-via-cat5-75ft.html

Or something similar.

- Stuart -
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

Thanks guys. I'm still debating. My other thought is to get one of those Frontier Tranzports to control my DAW. It certainly would be easier but then I'd be giving up the ability to read copy off a monitor and I'm not sure I want to do that. Decisions, Decisions.
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

I wired Cat5 and and a 50ft vga cable from my CR to my Vocal booth. This way I can use my mouse and keyboard off the cat5 and see everything on my vocal booth monitor, if I ever need to record myself. Have yet to test it but, def. will prior to rocking it.
Gvgeyuhi Edudi, Nulinega!! Hoka Hey!!!
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Oh yea, and I'm also using a Frontier Tranzport, it is useful, although I'm not a huge fan since it runs HUI
Gvgeyuhi Edudi, Nulinega!! Hoka Hey!!!
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

Thanks guys very much for your thoughts. I'm getting it all worked out.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Teflon,

Maybe this will help...

I've used these for commercial application where all we can run is 3/4" conduit:

http://www.quiktron.com/
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

Thanks! That's a very interesting solution. Is it as easy to install as website makes it out to be?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Absolutely!

You just attach whatever type of pigtail to the cable you want. VGA, Component, etc. You just plug it together, and thread the connector over it, and your done. Takes maybe 5 seconds to assemble.