Question On Studio Monitor Speaker Stands

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

robbyk49

Question On Studio Monitor Speaker Stands

Post by robbyk49 »

Hey guys..Currently I am using Mackie hr824 and they are placed on my desk..They are placed on auralex foam but i can still feel the bass response going through the desk and its also taking to much space up where i am working. ..Currently my room is bass trapped etc its 12x11..Yeah small room but its all i got to work around..This isnt a pro studio more bedroom...So far everything sounds great with the basstraps and abosrtions on the walls ..But iam currently trying to improve and wondering Speaker stands for my mackies would do the trick once again..

I would like to build something DIY..But i cant come around any ideas or threads that point to some cheap and effective DIY stands...My ideas were bulding a tube etc filling it with sand and so on...Wondering if someone could help..Iam trying to just get the best out of this room until i move out later on and start building a legit studio..Thanks in advance :)
A320guy

Re: Question On Studio Monitor Speaker Stands

Post by A320guy »

At least replace the foam with Auralex monitor pads for better isolation.Or even a pair of mouse pads will do good.I homebuilt sand-filled tube stands and they work great!If you do the iso-stands you will NOT want to use ios-pads in conjunction with them.One OR the other works.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

If you do the iso-stands you will NOT want to use ios-pads in conjunction with them.
Why not? What acoustic difference does it make if your monitors are attached to or isolated from a solid massive base?
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Issues surrounding speakers stands are complex. They are also often contradictory. e.g. Does a spike couple a stand to a floor (or speaker) or the opposite?
I would hedge bets here. I would decouple the stand from the floor with carpet, rubber feet or wheels, whatever is practical.
I would dampen any resonance in the tube, particularly if it is metal. This can be done with Fibreglass to Sand, Kitty Litter to Lead Shot. If you stand seems light, go heavy, and vice versa.
One wonders should the speaker be coupled to the top plate of the stand. Some are screwed together. Some use isolating foam or other resilient pads. Some use full surface pads, some use the minimum tiny corner pads. Then there are spikes. LOL.
Again, bet hedging. If there is a chance of your top plate ringing, as in metal plate ringing, I would use a full surface pad to stop that. Small corner pads of Neoprene seem popular with stand manufacturers. I guess that would provide maximum isolation, but minimum plate and speaker box damping. I have been tempted to greatly increase the amount of Neoprene on my stands, but this decrease the amount of decoupling, or change it's frequency. Confusing eh? I have left that bet alone for the moment.
UK company Towersonic have made an attempt to be serious about stands. Take a look at their stands perhaps for some inspiration?
DD
Teflon

Post by Teflon »

It's very confusing.

I've also been thinking about building some stands that would match my daw work station and make room for an additional video monitor on the desk's bridge. I don't have a drawing handy but what I have in my head is a base that is a box made out of MDF and filled with joint compound (I have a bunch I don't need). I figure I'll come up with some sort of neoprene or something for the box to rest on. I'd run a square aluminum tube vertically (square will match my desk style), then attach a plate for the monitor to sit on at the proper height, place my mopads on that plate and the monitors on the pads. Sound reasonable?

For what it's worth: I had each monitor on two pieces of studio foam, I doubled it to make a flat surface. Then I bought some mopads on sale so I use them now. I can tell a difference in the sound between the two methods.