Would you use this steel stud? "Gib Quiet Stud"

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Rhino

Would you use this steel stud? "Gib Quiet Stud"

Post by Rhino »

From the website:
http://gib.co.nz/gib-quiet-stud/
The GIB® Rondo® Quiet Stud® is a 92mm wide steel stud with great acoustic characteristics.

Features and Benefits

* The stud forms part of systems to reduce noise transmission through walls that can achieve 50 to 66 STC (Sound Transmission Class) points.

* Simple to install, and requires no special techniques, complex components or costly installation procedures usually associated with installing high performing noise control systems are eliminated.
I need to decide between this product and timber stud.

There will be a double wall with approx a 150mm gap between them. Two layers of plasterboard on the outer side of each wall, with insulation in the framing (M-A-M). The wall height will reach about 5m at its highest.
Rhino

Re: Would you use this steel stud? "Gib Quiet Stud"

Post by Rhino »

This from Rod in another thread:
...where the drywall is nailed to each face of a single frame wall - the comparison is wood frame versus light guage steel - and in these caes - the steel will usually produce result that you can only get with wood by adding resilient channel. And this is important more in the frequency range of STC ratings (the range of the human voice) than when it comes to music and lower frequency tones.......

But - if you're dealing with double wall assemblies - room within a room (if you will) you'll get better results generally with wood than with light guage steel framing - especially in the lower frequencies - this for a number of reasons....... the most important of (in my opinion) being that both sides of a light guage wall end up having to be tied together (at the very least in mid span of the wall height) by braces that join the 2 walls together - thus creating a flanking path between the 2 at that bridge.
:

So, steel stud for single frame walls, timber for double walls due to potential flanking paths (paraphrased generalization). However it sounds like my builder doesn't see a need to "tie" the steel-framed walls together, so no flanking path will exist there.

Hmmm...
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

OK I think I have answered the question. Unless anyone has anything to add. =)

The builder mentioned that the framing for the CR would need to be braced with the existing ceiling of the outer shell, to support the weight of this particular CR's ceiling. I reminded him that this is extremely undesirable and that the CR should be completely free standing. He said in that case the best option will be 6x2 timber framing.
adam

Post by adam »

Hate to interrupt your conversation :) but yep you're spot on with having the whole room completely freestanding.

There are an increasing number of "wall systems" being marketed which are designed to achieve a certain STC as cheaply as possible, to fulfill new building regulations for party walls between units. It can make it a challenge to convince some tradesmen & builders (who see this material all the time) that what you're doing is right.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The builder mentioned that the framing for the CR would need to be braced with the existing ceiling of the outer shell, to support the weight of this particular CR's ceiling.
Bad idea!
I reminded him that this is extremely undesirable and that the CR should be completely free standing. He said in that case the best option will be 6x2 timber framing.
Much better idea!

:)

However, you might want to keep a very close eye on how he builds it, since it sounds like he is not familiar with MSM construction! One stray nail is all it takes...

- Stuart -