Knightfly - Blocking properties

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

terrible_buddhist

Knightfly - Blocking properties

Post by terrible_buddhist »

Knight, this one is probably most for you...for various reasons doing the 3 layers of drywall for part of my ceiling is going to be about impossible. Specifically, my wall doesn't quite make it up to the concrete ceiling by about a foot...and of course this is the wall that is between the tracking room and control/ vocal rooms.

What I CAN do is put one layer of 3/4 MDF up there. Then put insulation....will this give me enough isolation?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Can you do a drawing of what you propose? I'm not clear whether you mean the frame doesn't reach the ceiling, or just the drywall, or?? Also, whether you're talking about one layer of MDF on each side, or just a single leaf of 3/4" MDF... Steve
terrible_buddhist

Post by terrible_buddhist »

one leaf of mdf...one of drywall...the control room won't be a problem doing the drywall.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sorry, I'm still not visualizing what you're trying to describe - seriously, a quick drawing would be much easier to understand... Steve