Ultra cheap wall mass

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

took-the-red-pill

Ultra cheap wall mass

Post by took-the-red-pill »

I don't know if this has been covered, but here goes.

So we all want to place 2 or 3 layers of drywall on all our walls for mass, right? And many of us are long on time, and short on cash, right? Here's my solution to getting those multiple layers at no cost.

In my local area(western Canada) when the drywall places have damaged drywall, they bust it into 4 X 4' pieces, and place it on a pallate. Then they pay someone to haul it away. Of course it weighs tons, so it can't be cheap to toss in the landfill.

I saw this, and I was ordering drywall from them anyway, so I asked them if I could have those scraps. They gladly threw all they had at the time on the truck and sent it with my order at no charge. It was enough to put another layer of drywall on my entire control room.

True, there are more joints to fill when the pieces are 4 X 4', but you can load up those walls with as many layers as your patience will allow, and then put one good layer of new, 4 X 8 sheets on top.

Worked for me.

Cheers
Keith
Take the blue pill-blah blah blah-take the red pill-blah blah blah-how deep the rabbit hole goes.
Ro

Re: Ultra cheap wall mass

Post by Ro »

cool :) !
Funky Animal

Re: Ultra cheap wall mass

Post by Funky Animal »

Yeah, almost had the same thing with my previous build in my small garage.
Instead of sheets going for 2.95 I got my order doubled with the 2nd batch being a bit damaged (edges) for 0,25cents per sheet!
This gave me an extra layer!

Just ask the supplier you are buying from. As long as they have a bit of customer service, they sometimes call out to their supplier and check if they have some pallettes left that are just nog good enough the be sold.