Pro Tools or Logic ???

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

TomVan

Re: Pro Tools or Logic ???

Post by TomVan »

Soundman2020 wrote:Am I still the only one around here who think that Samplitude runs rings around PT, while half asleep, and beats Logic to a pulp with one hand tied behind it's back?

Has anyone else actually tried Samplitude or Sequoia seriously? Has anyone else even HEARD of them?

For my money, nothing beats these two. Extremely intuitive interface, and a crystal clear sound like you never hear on PT. Not so great on MIDI features, but for audio they are really, really neat.

The only drawback is that they are not very well known, but I dare you to make a serious effort to try give them a spin, and that drawback will change pretty fast.

( ´xcuse the plug, but I couldn0t resist it, given the title of the thread! :) )

- Stuart -
Stuart,
Been on vacation and missed this post or I would have chimed in earlier.

This is what I tell all my clients. Because I have never been a MAC guy.

The first Windows based software-only product was Samplitude Studio, (1993) which already was existing from 1992 as an audio editor for "Amiga". In 1995 the Pentium Pro 200 came out and that was the first time I got it to work. Sold my analog gear and have been a loyal fan ever since.
Samplitudes DSP engines were miles ahead of PT and all others. The only problem was they had little to no marketing skills/capital. And still very little marketing. The company changed hands over the years a few times but the software improved and has stayed ahead of the competition as far as DSP power, stock plugins and overall compatability. Especially in the PC world.
MAC has basically one MOB and periphials (easier to program to, but I hear of crashing macs all the time) where PC's have many manufacturers and much harder to program to.
My system is solid. I also challenge anyone side by side to its editing features, user friendly interface and its plugins. I have had PT engineers in my studio numerous times and they all marvel at the ease of editing and the user interface. Some have crossed over. :yahoo:
As far as sound quality?!? All the null tests I have seen basically say the sound is in the users hand and skill level. Not the program itself :horse:
My 2 cents
Peace
Tom
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The first Windows based software-only product was Samplitude Studio,
I think you'll find it was Cakewalk (founded in 1987)which later became Sonar.
TomVan

Post by TomVan »

John,
True, I guess we could split hairs here :lol:
Samplitude was the first to be Windows based software ONLY for "audio". Not midi/sequencing

Cakewalk systems at this point "1987" utilized dedicated hardware for their audio processing.

"Early versions of Cakewalk for DOS (up to 3.0) 1987 required the intelligent mode of the MPU-401 card and could not be used with today's clones, while later versions (since 4.0) 1991 relied on dumb UART mode only. Cakewalk was renamed Cakewalk Pro at some point, and later into Cakewalk Pro Audio when support for digitized audio was added."
Peace
Tom
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Sure Tom but the MPU-401 card was a windows based midi interface - Samplitude couldn't access midi either as windows machines, unlike the Amiga and Atari, didn't have inbuilt midi ports.