quiz question about sketchup

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Skai_Penalva

Re: quiz question about sketchup

Post by Skai_Penalva »

John Sayers wrote:The whole structure should be built as rigid as possible hence it all locking together.
Now, should the speaker itself be decoupled with the plywood box? given that everything else needs to be rigidly coupled.
Sometimes the greatest risk is playing it safe
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Well you have to be able to get the speaker in an out of the box - so I make sure it's a tight fit but it's not connected, just sitting on it, the mounting becomes an extension to the speaker box. To add an additional mount for the speaker independent of the mounting is overkill IMO.
Skai_Penalva

Post by Skai_Penalva »

John Sayers wrote:Well you have to be able to get the speaker in an out of the box - so I make sure it's a tight fit but it's not connected, just sitting on it, the mounting becomes an extension to the speaker box. To add an additional mount for the speaker independent of the mounting is overkill IMO.

Ok, I understand what you are saying. Thanks for clarifying that!

Something is still a little unclear though: Should the speakers be surrounded by neoprene or any material that will isolate the vibrations from transferring to the speaker box and the entire soffit structure?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I don't believe it's necessary - the frame surrounding the speaker should be build strong and rigid. It becomes an extension to the speaker box in holding the speaker down.
Skai_Penalva

Post by Skai_Penalva »

John Sayers wrote:I don't believe it's necessary - the frame surrounding the speaker should be build strong and rigid. It becomes an extension to the speaker box in holding the speaker down.

This is great to knoe, John! I really appreciate it since I have read in many places (including this forum) people suggesting that be done, decoupling the speaker with neoprene from the speaker box. I understood from your posts to do just what you said right now (which is what I did) but thought I did it wrong since now I have other problems which I am having a hard time to identify.

This definitely brings me closer to my solutions! Thank you so much for you quick reply!
lowlife

Post by lowlife »

Well you have to be able to get the speaker in an out of the box - so I make sure it's a tight fit but it's not connected, just sitting on it, the mounting becomes an extension to the speaker box.
John, I have been putting my speakers into soffit boxes that became VERY tight...in fact, I believe it is probably touching parts of the sides as well. Would this be an issue (I have not started on the part above the soffit speaker shelf yet so I can probably adjust) or not having any effect on it all?

Also, (sorry for hijacking the thread...) I am a bit disappointed on the soffit box finish and as I can understand your soffit design, that part could/should be visible (by putting the soffit box flush with the front plywood face and not adding that front on top of the soffit box edges), but would it be ok to mount the soffit box flush with the framing and then just pull the speaker out in order to be flush with front?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

but would it be ok to mount the soffit box flush with the framing and then just pull the speaker out in order to be flush with front?
yes that will work. :)