Mixdown in live room

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

pootle roche

Mixdown in live room

Post by pootle roche »

Hello, just wondering.

Does anyone know anyone who uses their live room for mixing in.

As I feel that this may be a possible solution for the home studio owner who uses a DAW to mix and is on a tight budget for sound insulation.

As I figure, a well designed and built live room space could double as a good 'dead' sound proofed place to mix down in.

All the engineer would have to do is to construct a small mixing desk, near field monitors and computer monitor in the live room and he would have a noise and clutter free space for mixing in.
(the computer could stay in the control room space).

I also considered hanging the monitors from the ceiling using a cat gut cradle or something.
In order to reduce the studio furniture / equipment to minimal (in order to cut down reflections / vibrations).

Perhaps even create a jump suit that has triangle diffuser acoustic foam sewn to it....lol. :-)
Something like this with added acoustic foam...
http://www.lazyboneuk.com/products/Selk ... ion-1.html
xSpace

Re: Mixdown in live room

Post by xSpace »

Live end/Dead end.

But don't let that stop ya from buying that suit.
Ethan Winer

Re: Mixdown in live room

Post by Ethan Winer »

pootle roche wrote:Does anyone know anyone who uses their live room for mixing in.
I have a one-room studio, if that's what you're asking. It's 34 feet long by 18 feet wide, with a ceiling that peaks at 12 feet in the center. So it's large enough to be a great home studio "live" room, but the mixing end is well treated so it's not overly live and I can hear everything clearly. One-room studios can be smaller too:

Maximum Studio, Minimum Stress

--Ethan