Monument Sound - Colorado

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

IntelDoc

Monument Sound - Colorado

Post by IntelDoc »

Hey guys, it has been along long time since I have been on here but I wanted to share the new studio with you all. I learned a lot of build ideas when I was here and built 2 studios in the past. This one by far is the best outta the bunch.

I can try to dig up some build photos too down the line to show you. Basically I used the Corner Chunk idea alot, bass traps by Ready acoustics (http://www.readyacoustics.com) and then alot of custom work that I did myself. Always designing and changing...

Right now the drum room rear wall was redone. It took me about 2 weeks but turned out gret and sounds amazing. Gotta figure out some diffusion for the ceiling as the other half is all absorbtion. Going for a half live, half less live sound. So far so good.

Guitar room sounds killer and the control room is great. Gotta get the rear wall redone and some diffusion up but so far things are translating really well.

Room sizes are:

Control Room - 13 x 18
Live Room - 16 x 17
Guitar Room - 12 x 15
Vocal Booth - 6 x 7

Enjoy.

MONUMENT SOUND

MONUMENT SOUND ON MYSPACE

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Monument Sound - Colorado

Post by John Sayers »

very interesting - thank you for posting your studio.

You should read up on the way slot resonators work before you try to construct them. ;)
IntelDoc

Post by IntelDoc »

Interesting.... sent you a PM on that.
MONUMENT SOUND

John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

If you are talking about the guitar room it is mainly for a little breakup and NOT considered a slot resonator. The room has plenty of bass trapping with the corner chunks and the ceilings not to mention the fully underground access. The room needed some asthetics. The wood was a way to make it look better and the space actually sounds great for guitars. The wall, diffusion/absorbtion idea is because at first it was 2 bass traps and an arched piece of wood that did NOTHING. The room now has a bright side and a somewhat live side. Sounds great to my ears and others.
fair enough - I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about how to construct slot resonators.

as I said - it's a nice looking studio and thanks for posting it.
IntelDoc

Post by IntelDoc »

I understand completely John and have used your way many times to build a slot panel with great results. The stone/wood wall is all that I needed. The natural diffusion from the stone works great and the diffusion/absorbing panels are built like this:

4' wide x 6' tall a 6" deep - sealed with caulk
stuffed with 6 inches on mineral wool top to bottom
1"x1" slate spaced 1 inch then a 2"x1" and so on...
Trim and light... repeat

Works really well for what I needed and wanted in the space. I also have 5 ceiling panels that are not visible by ready acoustics as well as 8 moveable ACS studio traps by:

http://www.asc-studio-acoustics.com/st.htm

Definitely able to make things work.

The guitar room I figured already had what I needed as it is live enough and I did not want DEAD. The drywall is 5/8th" and insulation then the concrete foundation. I wanted the wall to do some breakup like I mentioned as well as look good. and I think it does) If I were to redo it, I would bump it out 4 inches, stuff it with insulation and slot it out according to the specs but I like the tones I get from it.

Thanks again John,

Best....

Oh... good to be back here too btw.
MONUMENT SOUND