Conduit Issues!!

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

NativeLuv17

Conduit Issues!!

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Hey everyone, I'm about to run out and grab some supplies for running conduit for my audio and data cables. I've researched the threads here quite a bit on conduit runs, but I'm just a tad confused.

I know I need to run electrical conduit correct? But what do I use for elbows, I seem to have found, especially on Kathy's Barn Conversion, others running into this problem. I am not running connectors through the conduit however, but prepped ends which will be soldered to plates in each room. Is there also a limit to the diameter of the conduit I need to run, or as long as it is insulated, it wont be an issue?

Any thing I missed, or important issues regarding this, would be much appreciated!!! :D

Thanks Ian
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =2&t=11508
Gvgeyuhi Edudi, Nulinega!! Hoka Hey!!!
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Conduit Issues!!

Post by John Sayers »

Ian - I suspect you'll find that the building codes in your state are way more severe than other states. I know Jon of Meow Mix in Massachusetts had to run metal ducting for ALL cables, including CAT 5 , audio and electrical, whereas Warren in Kansas ( a qualified electrician) didn't use any ducts for anything.
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Thanks John,

I know that my town here in Maine goes by the International Residential Code, 2003 Edition.

As far as running conduit for audio all I was able to find was this statement so far -

"E3508.2.1: Electrodes of pipe or conduit shall be not smaller than ¾ - inch trade size (metric designator 21) and, where of iron or steel, shall have the outer surface galvanized or otherwise metal-coated for corrosion protection."

This does not even designate that a certain material MUST be used, and as far as electrical cabling, I am most certain that no conduit is needed since I have been present on numerous legit job sites around the town, finding that most electrical is run through the studs. What do u think should be my next step, dig a little deeper??
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes - I would consult with a local electrician. It would be a shame to find out later that the wiring has to be re-done :shock:
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Are you sure that the town use's the International Residential (not Electrical as I first wrote) Code? Almost all of the US use's the NEC "National Electrical Code". The current version is 2008 (next version is 2011). Some areas may skip a current section, Some areas may have stricter rules (like Chicago). I never read about anyone soldering or welding EMT (Electrical Metal Tubes).
Last edited by Speedskater on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Unless the website is outdated - http://www.eliotmaine.org/CEO.html

But like I told John, I'm gonna do a lil more investigating :wink:
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Before you start anything, double check with the city. For electrical stuff, each region of the World has different rules. City web-sites are seldom official. Call or write the city and ask what version of NEC is in effect.
Kevin
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

John and Speedskater, I was able to contact a buddy who does local electrical, and dug up more stuff on my own. All electrical in my area is passed through studs, and the town has no codes on running interior conduit for cabling. I know some more heavily populated areas may use harsher coding, (Meow Mix, in East Hampton MA) yet the town I live is more of a small farming/family community, not that it makes a difference, but the coding here isn't as sever. Anyhow this should allow me to run my conduit as I had hoped. I do not mean to extend my thread here, but I have come up with some mapping for my conduit run and proposal/question about the best way to run my cables through my wall, if you would be so kind to have a look :)

1) My Conduit runs returning to the Control Room, the rear orange area is my rear CR deck, which the conduit would lay under, and would be decoupled entering the wall

2) Top View of the run

3) Forgive the poorness of these drawings, this shows the double leaf with my conduit troft in between and running the conduit so it protrudes the drywall and is caulked to decouple it as it enters the room

4) Double leaf with the conduit broke at the insulation, pulling the actual snakes/cables through a slit in the insulation, and then pulled through the drywall and small hole in the back of the mounting box for soldering

Would 3 or 4 be a better method for isolation or neither? Is there some other way that is more efficient??? :?:

Thanks Guys, Ian :D
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I can relate to that Ian, I live in a small farming town and no one really cares what you build :)

Just don't run your power parallel to your audio.

I usually run my power and lighting through the ceilings and drop down for wall power outlets. I then run all the audio via the floor.

You will need an audio duct and a power duct to your console so run them from opposite directions.
NativeLuv17

Post by NativeLuv17 »

Gotta love those small towns :D
I usually run my power and lighting through the ceilings and drop down for wall power outlets. I then run all the audio via the floor.
Thanks John, this is exactly what I am doing!!! :D
You will need an audio duct and a power duct to your console so run them from opposite directions.
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding this John, by ducts are you implying the audio and power CABLES should be run in opposite directions???

And not to take up your time, but how do you generally like to penetrate the walls with your audio runs if underfloor conduit is not an option?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

to avoid parallel lines run the console power in from one direction and the audio cables from another.