can i get some oppinions please

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

funkbutt

can i get some oppinions please

Post by funkbutt »

i just finished the construction phase of a two story two car garage . the building is 28' x 28'. the whole upstairs is dedicated for a recording studio.is there a program i can use for layout and design?i would like to show you guy's some of what i have in mind so far. :) :) :)
let the funk begin
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Here's what most people here use (except me, I'm the mod so I get to be wierd, strange, different, unique, demented, etc) -

http://www.smartdraw.com/index.htm

If you;re on a Mac, good luck... Steve
funkbutt

Post by funkbutt »

here is a realy lame drawing ,of what im looking to do
let the funk begin
funkbutt

drawing

Post by funkbutt »

what file extension should i be using so that i can send you my lame ass drawing?
let the funk begin
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

gif's are fine, but all files need to be less than 150k - just click on the browse button, find the file on your drive, double-click it, and submit. Should work, that's all I do... Steve
funkbutt

here is the pick (hehe)

Post by funkbutt »

not to good but i guess it will do , if not let me know.....
let the funk begin
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Have you looked around the Design forum at all, or perhaps here?

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_mate ... /Plans.htm

Your control room isn't symmetrical, which is not a good thing - you may want to check out a few other designs and see which ones you might be able to adapt to your circumstances... Steve
funkbutt

does this help any steve?

Post by funkbutt »

i looked at the link you posted , thank you very much.none of my walls are actually there yet, these are just ideas.i made a few changes ,see what you think , ........... thanks for your kindness in helping me out
let the funk begin
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a modified version of the "corner control room" layout. Parallel walls require more acoustic treatment in order to get a workable sound field for mixing -

But first it would help to know your intentions, as well as to confirm/deny my suspicions that the side with the "dormer storage" doesn't have full headroom - am I right on that? I'm thinking sloped ceilings with dormers sticking out of the roofline in 3 places, forming little "alcoves" there??!?

Info like how many people doing what, sound proofing requirements, etc, all would help figure out what's best in your particular case... Steve
funkbutt

Post by funkbutt »

yes the storage areas are indeed the dormers.there are two 6' dormers in the front of the garage and 1 20' dormer in the back ( right now it is drawn as the control room)the greyed in areas are actually roof.also in the front walls that are used for storage are approx. 4' tall . the whole back dormer is eight feet on the outside wall (could slopeit up to 10', collar ties/ceiling joist's. im a builder by trade , so there arent too many aspects of the trade i dont have experience with. thanx again for your help steve.......
let the funk begin
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Cool, I get tired of having to start with "this is a hammer"... :?

Now, if you could fill me in on the rest of the deal - how many people, how much sound proofing necessary, and to/from where - hobby or pro, anything that will give more of an idea of how the space will be used. Things like if it will be computer-based or analog, etc, all enter into the design... Steve
funkbutt

hey steve

Post by funkbutt »

well the studio will be based around the roland vs 2480cd. but there will also be a pc in the works.the studio is roughly 30' x 30' . the garage is detached from the house , and sits 30' away.i live on five acres of land so i dont think that neighbors will be a problem, if we treat the drum booth,and guitar booth right?i will need an iso booth for vocals.all i have now is the framing of the basic roof , including the 10' ceiling joist's, and the dormers. there is basicaly 4' of roof on each corner of the upstairs as well as in the center of the front wall.oh yeah the roof is a 12/12 pitch. i nwas planning on using the drum /live room as a seating area as well but if tthats not a good idea then oh well. ........let me know what you think . thanx ..p.s i wont be back to work until monday , so if i dont respond thats why ...its 1:06 thursday afternoon here in atlantic city, New
Jersey. :D :D :D
let the funk begin
funkbutt

im back

Post by funkbutt »

hi steve , im back to work , its monday morning @ 5:30 .i looked at some of the other design's and came to the conclusion that the corner controlroom is (like others have suggested ) the best starting point for my layout . from there i will have to figure out whether or not to isolate the drums or not. maybe you could lend me your thoughts on this subjectas well . i will be doing live recording's as well as multitrack recordings, so iwas thinking of putting an 8' french door in the center of the drum room wall so that it could open up for live rehearsal space or even for tracking . what do you think ? thanx again for your time and patience............
let the funk begin
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Funk,

You have a challenge ahead of you with the control room layout you have - odds are that you will want to mix facing the live room - however with that room layout you really want your mixing position facing in the long direction of the room. If you face the right side (as viewed in your sketch - that might not be a bad layout in general.

If you want to face the live room - perhaps you would be better suited to create the control room kiddie-corner beginning at the lower right hand corner of the space - and then develope the remaining spaces around that.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
funkbutt

Post by funkbutt »

thats exactly what im working on now(as we speak) ill post as soon as i can get it to the pc,....thanx for the input
let the funk begin