DIY Speaker Stands

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

worldofnoise

DIY Speaker Stands

Post by worldofnoise »

Hello all,

I know there have a been several threads on the subject in general, but I have a specific question that I can't seem to find a solid answer on. Can I use cinder blocks or similar concrete blocks stacked as speaker stands? I know of coarse that I could...but do they actually have enough mass to keep from resonating etc? I could care less about the looks, wether they hold cables, or anything like that...just if it's enough mass and would work out well.

Also, if this is a good plan, what would you use to bind the blocks together? I have green glue left over from my construction, liquid nail, etc...I'm just not sure if this would be a useful place for green glue vs. a general adhesive. I am aware that green glue is not the same as liquid nail in terms of strength, but again, it's more about resonating and decoupling. The stands would be out of the way of people, behind a desk where no one is likely to hit them (most likely, exact placement still needs to be determined).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: DIY Speaker Stands

Post by Soundman2020 »

Take a look at this thread, and see if you find what you need: :)

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10021

Also, Green Glue is not actually glue at all. It is not an adhesive of any kind. The "Glue" part is just a name. Green Glue is a viscoelastic polymer, designed to be spread between layers of drywall for acoustic damping. It might be sticky, but it never sets completely, and is not designed to hold things together.

- Stuart -