dimmers

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

moclov555

dimmers

Post by moclov555 »

So i've been looking through this forum as a guest for awhile now, saving up questions and i finally got the courage to ask some...

I'm pretty much done with framing in my LR, CR, vocal/drum booth setup and starting to figure out electrical.
I think i understand electricity pretty well and i have read here that dimmers in a studio are a bad idea, but this is a basement studio under a newly constructed house with over 100 dimmers! :shock:
I've done some minor recording in the space without any noticeable hum but who knows how long that will last...
there is obviously no way the existing dimmers are coming out so my questions are:

1. is there any reason not to use dimmers in my situation since there will be house dimmers on the same leg as the studio plugs?

2. is it worth putting the studio dimmers on a separate leg than the studio plugs (even though there will be house dimmers on the same leg as the studio plugs)

3. is it the proximity to the dimmers that drives gear crazy or being on the same leg of power?

this is big help as i would like to get the electrical finished so i can start sealing up the walls!
thanks,
Wyatt Burns
A2D Audio
Eroc

Re: dimmers

Post by Eroc »

Im putting these Lutron Dimmers in the studio im building, the company i work for uses them all the time, never heard of any humming or electrical interference, they just get warm to the touch. Make sure you use the right dimmers, they go by watts, and also by incandescent or halogen.