Entire studio off one 20 amp circuit?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

moclov555

Entire studio off one 20 amp circuit?

Post by moclov555 »

Post number two...

I'm trying to finalize electrical and so far i have one 20 amp circuit running to the studio for plugs only (separate 15 amp for lights)

the studio consists of a good sized vocal booth/drum booth, control room/chill zone, and a live room.

as of right now my gear is nothing amazing but i want to plan ahead, so here is a list of equipment i will eventually want to power:

1 Mac pro dual monitors
1 presonus firestudio
2 digimax d8s
1 30" plasma
4 mackie control universal pros
1 24 channel board
2 sets of stereo monitors
various preamps and fx
1 Hear headphone system
1 vintage electric organ
5 drum machines
8 synths
2 keyboards
2 turntables
5 gtr/bass amps
convenience plugs in CR

of coarse not all of this would be on at the same time but i dont want to be tripping breakers constantly,

so my question is how many 20 amp circuits should i allow for, and should they all be on the same leg of power or separate?

thank you so much,
Wyatt Burns
A2D Audio
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Entire studio off one 20 amp circuit?

Post by Soundman2020 »

Look on the back / bottom / in the manual for each piece of equipment, and note down the power consumption it says it needs (in "amps") Now add up all those numbers. Presto! You have the total consumption for all of your equipment. That's what you need to wire for. Of course, your ACTUAL consumption will be much less than that, but you still need to wire it for the rated peak. And don't forget to leave a large margin for expansion! If you get to, for example, 12 amps, then wire for 20 anyway (or two circuits of 10 each). If you get to 19 amps, then wire two circuits of 15 each. Etc.

- Stuart -
stuntbutt

Post by stuntbutt »

Most draw will be listed in watts. Add up the watts, divide by 120v to get the amperage.

My guestimate is that you will be fine.
mn1247

Post by mn1247 »

Generally, allow 20% margin. So, a 20-amp circuit can carry 16 amps.