A good, cheap SPL meter ?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Addni

A good, cheap SPL meter ?

Post by Addni »

Hey there, I'm ordering some things from amazon (Rod's book for example) and I was thinking of getting an SPL meter while I'm at it (since I haven't seen any around for sale where I live) and I was wondering if you could recommend anyone that's available at amazon.com (i just typed SPL Meter in the search), preferably under $60.

Or should I maybe not bother buying anything under a specific price range.

Analog vs. Digital, any specific features I should be looking into.

The meter would be used for measuring monitor level, loudness at different places in the hall when live mixing, and also just plain curiosity about the enviroment.

and btw. any other specific books (design, mixing, mastering, recording and so on) you'd recommend.
MacBook Pro - Presonus Firepod - Logic Studio
kendale

Re: A good, cheap SPL meter ?

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Try the Radio Shack 33-2055 if you've got one in your area
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103667

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
Addni

Post by Addni »

no radio shacks in iceland ;/
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Adni. I have two SPL meters. A simple Extech 407750, for getting plain old simple SPL readings, and a Phonic PAA4, which is also a 1/3 octave spectrum analyzer and gives you a bar graph showing your levels across the entire spectrum, in 1/3 octave intervals. Both have worked out fine for me. I bought them both on E-bay, used. The Extech cost me something like US$ 50, and the Phonic was around US$ 250, I think.

The Phonic PAA4 is pretty neat, and has a bunch of other functions, such as RT60 and speaker polarity testing, it generates pink noise, etc. Its a bit pricey new (something like US% 500, I think), and the Phonic tech support is lousy, but it is a useful little gadget.

- Stuart -
Addni

Post by Addni »

Thanks for that ;)