Double wall ceiling

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

booya

Double wall ceiling

Post by booya »

Hi everyone,

I must say I've been loving this site and all of the great info everyone shares. I've spent a great deal of time on this site trying to wrap my head around the different construction concepts however there are still a couple of things I'm confused about. I beg of your assistance.

I'm planning to build an Iso booth attached to the control room inside of a finished room. I have attached a couple of pictures to give you an idea of where my head is with things and could be directed if I have fallen off track. When I say inside a finished room I mean that I am hoping to build it without attaching or disrupting any finished walls or ceiling...however I'm open to all suggestions.

Two things i'm wondering of the top.

1. Is the ceiling in the in the drawing the correct way when dealing with a double wall.

2. How crucial is it to have two floating floors vs having both rooms on one floating floor. ie in between the two rooms

My main objective is to dampen sound as much as possible and create a good recording environment for drums, vocals and amps.

Thanks for your time,

Allan

Sorry...I decided not to post the one picture of the room after previewing it...I had scan it as a full page and I have been unable to shrink it tonight.
I will post it tomorow.
giles117

Re: Double wall ceiling

Post by giles117 »

booya wrote:Hi everyone,
1. Is the ceiling in the in the drawing the correct way when dealing with a double wall.

2. How crucial is it to have two floating floors vs having both rooms on one floating floor. ie in between the two rooms
As Far as floated floors go, you really only need one unless you are in an area with tons of vibrations. eithe float the control room or the live room.

Never Ever float one floor and place both rooms on that floated floor. You will have defeated the purpose for isolating the two rooms. If you desire to float both rooms make sure they are separetly floated.

With regards to your ceiling, what are we looking at, the outer portion what is that facing? etc...

Bryan Giles
[/quote]
booya

Post by booya »

the picture of the ceiling is a view from the outside of the room looking in(top left), with the first wall being see thru at this point.

Thanks

Allan
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

the picture of the ceiling is a view from the outside of the room looking in(top left), with the first wall being see thru at this
point.
Allan, that is called a section view. Your drawing is called a detail of the complete section. Usually, a section of the long dimension of the room is called a Vertical section, the short dimension would be a Longitudinal section. In your drawing, I almost thought it was a Plan section, as I've never seen a double ceiling as shown, although your stud notes clarify it. Lable your sections so readers know what direction the cut line is.
Is the top ceiling part of the existing house?
Hope that helps.

fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Allan,

One big flaw I see here - please do not use laminating screws for the ceiling.

They are not designed for any sort of loading.

I'm certain you don't want to hurt anyone - and i promise you that they won't hold a ceiling up for too long.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........