Vintage speakers components in a new home video system

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

serge instrumental

Vintage speakers components in a new home video system

Post by serge instrumental »

Me and my friend have a project. It is situated out of his house in a garage, about 150 feet from his house. The "double garage is around 32'X30', wich half of it will still be used for car and tools among other things. The idea is to use speakers components that I have and put them in the wall that divides the garage from the home theatre. I would strongly prefer a wideband prayback system without separate subs. We would use a 300 inches screen (with screengo paint on the gyproc wall)

I know that I will have to complete the system but I want to stay within a tree-way (woofer/mid/high) system because of the cost. We have ample amplification (Harman-Kardon 5X100Watts plus my old Crown modified DC-300, 2X210Watts)

Speakers: 2-JBL k-145, 15" woofers. For mids 2XJBL 2420 compression drivers with the choice of a McCaully 9"(similar to the JBL 2391 accoustic lens) or the standard 20" (2390)folded lens with all the necessary parts. Using horns, I will have to time align moore but feasible with some berringer electronix X-over I guess...

I know that there will be a problem in the low-mid defenition, maybe add some good 5" or 6" driver covering around 150Hz to 2-4KHz and leave the 2420 driver to cover the upper spectrum. Maybe should-I use in this configuration the 2420 mounted directly on the baffle plane, something similar to the old and big Westlake studio monitors(2x15", wodden mid horn and the 2420 as a tweeter) I know that they are different beasts but you understand where I wanna go.

I insist that I want to use this place and make an infinite baffle system(the garage being the speaker box) and I think that the woofer(K-145) is possibly a good candidate for this. And I will have to make active equalization for the sub(woofer) for frequency response going low enough to get rid of external subs.

If I can get 115 to 120 DB of flat response in a linear power response( going lower than the published spec of 40Hz for the K-145) and low distortion, adding baffle step compensation eq. And finally we would put some basstraps in corners, to tune the room for bass problems. Also we'll put some back satellites and one center channel but the most important is the L+R speakers. Ok maybe put some eq on the 2420 to extend the frequency response over 10K but not overdoing it for "absolute" flatness to 20KHz!

I hope it is feasible!

I would like to "see" Barefoot's comments but any folks that know theese drivers can chime in too! 8)
serge instrumental

Re: Vintage speakers components in a new home video system

Post by serge instrumental »

I've probably posted this question on the wrong forum :oops: