URGENT: Wall Finishes?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

spicyitaliano

URGENT: Wall Finishes?

Post by spicyitaliano »

The construction builders just started the wall board process, and they've asked me what kind of finish I need. Does it matter? The usual is orange peel, but we could just have a smooth surface. What is typical?

Any help fast would be great!
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Considering that the wall board will be hidden behind your acoustic treaments for the most part. Whatever you like. I'd go smooth

Bryan Giles
spicyitaliano

Post by spicyitaliano »

Yeah, thats what I figured. I mean, a good bit of the walls will be covered with wood, or absorbing material, or lighting, or anything else.

Anybody else care to share their experience with this?
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

They are most probably asking this to determine what level tape job they have to provide.

For a heavy wallpaper (picture burlap or other rough fabrics) or for textured finishes a level 3 finish is usually acceptable.

For finer papers nothing shy of a level 4 finish will do - they show a lot of sin -

For very fine delicate papers or for a smooth painted surface a level 5 (the highest level of finish) is required or lighting will show more sin than you will ever want to see.

Remember that the joints are always raised above the drywall when the taping is completed - and thus create shadow line when hit with lighting - smooth finishes tend to exxagerate this effect - where as the heavier textures and finishes tend to diffuse the light and hide it.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Good info Rod.Never knew there was a difference. they don't cover that in the DIY manulas. :)

I always used the fibreglass tape cuz it stuck and didn't bubble up. Then some white paint. :)

I do recall the Joist thing though from back when I remodeled my last home. Never knew what to do just looked so ugly.

Bryan Giles
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Bryan,

The trick with joints is to minimize butt joints - stagger them when you absolutely have to have them - and try to arrange them so that they align with lighting instead of being offset from it.

If a light shines on the center of a vertical joint it doesn't cast a shadow.

Also, the higher the rating of the tape job the wider the joint becomes - this tends to make the shadow effects somewhat gentler.

If you want a truly magnificent job - then go for the blue board plaster finishes.

Due to the fact that the final coat covers the entire wall surface there are no visable joints when it's completed.

But that is not a DIY project - it takes a real pro to complete properly..... and trust me - you will pay for it.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Believe you me, i learned. Except for this studio building I am hiring pro for the job. the studios i have built all end up be covered by treatments so you never see my amatuerish work. LOL

Bryan Giles.

Thanks for the insite
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

If you ever get masochistic enough to WANT to do that kind of job, I have one book called Drywall (catchy title, huh?) by Myron Ferguson, that is very thorough (although pretty light on sound proof construction)

I got mine at HD, but it's also available at Amazon - if you go to Books and just type drywall into the search box, it's the first book that comes up - Runs about $14, worth it just for the education... Steve
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Thnx Steve I dragged the link to my desktop. Maybe when I start managing properties again I'll snatch it up...

Bryan Giles