Experiences with oem(dy kits or others) vesrsus commerc

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

serge instrumental

Experiences with oem(dy kits or others) vesrsus commerc

Post by serge instrumental »

Anybody have an experience trying to build boxes with high quality components (and integrate different speaker vendors and doing math with x-overs...) all that against aleady made visions from the majors(big dollars against hours of labor).

Good or bad experiences?

Please feed this thread

jwl

Post by jwl »

I enjoy building speakers, though the last pair I built was 15 years ago now, in the dark ages when DynAudio still sold drivers. :twisted:

I'll build another pair next year when I build my studio. I'll probably do a D'Appolito design using Seas drivers, from Madisound.

If you enjoy it (carpentry, design, etc) then I highly recommend it. Otherwise, just buy something. These days it's tricky to DIY and have it come out less than what is commercially available, especially once your time is factored in.
http://www.craftedrecordings.com
Quality audiogeekery in Northern New England
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

It all depends on what effort you put into it. You can get first class drivers from many companies Parts express and solen are two more suppliers of components
oceancity

Post by oceancity »

Have a browse at www.diyaudio.com/forums. There's a lot of people there dedicated to building. They are a very helpful group. The full range forum is particularly interesting.
serge instrumental

Post by serge instrumental »

Thank you for your input. I know Solen and they provide support fo x-over design but I don't have heard what result it would be for speakers integration. :wink: