My small garage studio excuse the mess (still under construc

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Sound byte

Post by Sound byte »

doublehelix wrote:Looks great, but as you mentioned, it could use a bit of tidying!

We each have different needs and different goals, and there is not one-size-fits-all studio. I had a lot of great advice when I was building my place, and I also had a lot of advice from "pros" to do things that were way beyond the scope of what I needed for my little hobbit hole.

I will mention that most of that over-the-top advice did not come from this forum.

That is great that you are able to do what you need to do, are happy, and are getting things recorded! That is the whole reason we do this, right?

And if I am ever down-under during a hurricane, I am dropping by your place! ;)

Thanks for the post James :D

I am suspired that you didn’t get all your over the top information at this forum. :shock: If you don‘t want to post where you got it could you pm me? :wink:

I have done some recordings in there already and they sound good. I am looking for a dead room as possible (because it is small) I figure that I can always put some MDF in front of an area to make it more reflective (if needed). Because it is a simple matter of placing boards were I need them rather than adding more midrange panels. The MDF panels can be easily stored when not needed as apposed to relocating thick, bulky panels around.

By the way, I there is a swinging panel one side 100% reflective and the other wide band absorbing (the yellow side you can see) It is the 7th post down and located behind the white Stratocaster.

I do want to tune the room however. I am treating the ceiling as I post this and I will be trying to use some software to analyse the room. I am particularity looking for the nodes. Lastly the floor will also be changed to laminate timber looking or a cheap parquetry (remember this is on a shoe string budget) .

I figure the floor will increase the reflections but I want some flooring that is “beer proof “ for when I have some people over to jam. 8)
The laminate timber is amazing stuff because you can spill acid, cigarettes etc.

Yea the place is a pig sty in the picture but hey, If I wait for the room to be clean it might be sometime before I could post it here.