how to wire grounds on patchbay?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

juanpaco

how to wire grounds on patchbay?

Post by juanpaco »

I have read a lot about grounds on patchbay but I don't have still understood very well when or how to terminate the grounds on patchbay?
I have Neutrik NPPA-TT patchbay. I intend to wire mic and signal wires from different areas in the studio but I dont know how should be the ground scheme.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I've seen these wired a few ways, but what I see more of is the grounds are usually all bussed together on the bays(usually tie lines, inserts, outboard, etc.) Mic lines I usually keep separate without bussing them together. That way if for some reason you were to get some kind of voltage from phantom power that leaked into it, you don't fry something, and just helps keep it isolated.
juanpaco

Great

Post by juanpaco »

Thanks for your help
theasylum

Post by theasylum »

Hey there- what do you mean by bussed together?? Sorry if its a noob question - im not too experienced or knowledgeable about the electronics side of engineering. thanks a lot!
padded cell

Post by padded cell »

connected to the same source, so run a wire across all of the grounds and you have a ground buss
theasylum

Post by theasylum »

Oh ok - so its not advised to solder each ground to its respective connector??
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

It really depends on your grounding throughout the studio, if you have RF issue's, need a central ground for all connections, etc. Most bays I've seen, are bussed on the grounds. with a few exceptions.