Sending mic signals to two locations

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

MightyM

Sending mic signals to two locations

Post by MightyM »

My studio will consist of two rooms, a main control room, and a smaller isolation booth. For the bulk of my work, I plan on having my desk in the control room, but from time to time I expect to roll my desk into the iso booth to free up the larger room for tracking drums and such. I plan on using panel mounted db25 connectors in the control room to feed the various mic signals to my daw system. I would like to have a duplicate set of db25 connectors in my iso booth as well for when I have my desk in that room.

Is it acceptable to simply solder an additional 8channel cable to the back of the control room db25 to send the signals to the iso booth? The only potential problem I can forsee is possibly some noise issues related to the break in shielding at the mid run db25, or at the end of run db25.

Any thoughts?
brianrcdd

Post by brianrcdd »

Here's a link to a similar thread:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=

I would think the same impact and risk would apply.
Brian

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist." - G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
MightyM

Post by MightyM »

Thanks for the link. Originally, I had planned on having a second set of DB25 connectors on the control room panel that I would "jumper" to send the signal to the ISO room, but I thought I might save myself some $ and time by connecting the second cable permanently to the back of the DB25. I suspected this may have some ill effects though.

Thanks for the input.
EK Sound

Post by EK Sound »

There are several sudios in the area that do a similar thing will no ill effects. One studio I know has mic input panels in four places around the room. There are 16 channels that are the same on all the panels. The 16 lines are split out from punch down blocks behind one of the panels. They have not had a problem with noise. If you take care to keep the exposed wires as short as possible, and twist the paris that are unshieled (at the back of the connectors) you should be fine.

Dave.
MightyM wrote:Thanks for the link. Originally, I had planned on having a second set of DB25 connectors on the control room panel that I would "jumper" to send the signal to the ISO room, but I thought I might save myself some $ and time by connecting the second cable permanently to the back of the DB25. I suspected this may have some ill effects though.

Thanks for the input.