Metrics?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Grumble

Metrics?

Post by Grumble »

Why don't you use metrics on this forum?
Eventually the whole world will, as they do in Startrek :roll:
Ro

Post by Ro »

why don't we all start speaking Dutch here, eventually the whole wor.... oh, wait.. never mind
Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

Onze John Sayers weet alles van ontwerpen m.b.v. het metrieke stelsel...

(translated: Our beloved John knows metrics like the back of his hand)

But there are also people that use feet and inches, but I guess that doesn't really matter now does it?
Regards,

Edo
Gash

Post by Gash »

Ro wrote:why don't we all start speaking Dutch here, eventually the whole wor.... oh, wait.. never mind

:D
Who knows what might happen... if you actually put some effort into it...
Ro

Post by Ro »

u see, size DOES matter :p
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

I try to use whatever the op uses and stay with that.

This tool helps me:
"Convert is a free and easy to use unit conversion program that will convert the most popular units of distance, temperature, volume, time, speed, mass, power, density, pressure, energy and many others, including the ability to create custom conversions!"

http://joshmadison.com/article/convert-for-windows

If that doesn't work, I take my socks and shoes off. You see, my toes are metric but my fingers are standard.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Metrics?

Post by John Sayers »

Grumble wrote:Why don't you use metrics on this forum?
Eventually the whole world will, as they do in Startrek :roll:
you are right Grumble - eventually the US will come around - they actually use metric is some applications as it's definitely easier.
brianrcdd

Post by brianrcdd »

For many like myself, it's a 'guesstimate' issue. you tell me a board is about 6 feet long, and I can immediately picture it in my brain. You tell me it's 2 meters and I have to stop for a second and figure it out.

My thinking is people like myself who don't adopt/adapt are partly to blame for lack of widespread use. For the sake of the next generation I think schools should go ahead and force the issue, and us 'legacy' folks should support that any way we can outside of the schoolroom. There is certainly nothing inherently good about feet and inches in my opinion. But it's what I know so I just can't shake it. Another lazy American, I'm afraid.
Brian

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist." - G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

but it also works the other way Brian - if I say to a kid today that's it's 6" long they look at me blank, I have to add 15cm for them to understand.

Depends what you grew up on - I grew up with imperial and had to learn metric. I much prefer metric.