Why slots in corners

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

J.J.McLeod

Why slots in corners

Post by J.J.McLeod »

John, you seem to prefer slot absorbers in corners as opposed to hangers. Is this true, and if so, why? I was under the impression that the corners were the best place to deal with low bass since the nodes pile up there, but slots seem to deal more with upper bass/lower midrange.

Also, in the yahoo acoustics group there are several people who recommend putting rigid fiberglass like 703 across corners with insulation behind for bass trapping. What do you think about that method?

I'm skeptical about it myself. A couple of weeks ago I did a test where I took two of my freestanding 8'x4' 703 panels and put them across the back corners (without insulation behind). I also moved out the bottoms of the other 703 panels in the room about 6-8 inches with the tops still leaning against the wall. The total effect seemed minor and wasn't very helpful. The worst bass notches got even worse and lowered in frequency by about 3-5 Hz.

Thanks,

J.J.

J.J. McLeod
Different Drummer Studios
www.differentdrummerstudios.com
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

It's really a space factor JJ. Hangers require a full area to get enough hangers to make it worth while - take the corners at the rear of Left Bank's control room - there we had the space to put hangers. You have the space at the rear to put hangers if you do your control room the way we are currently discussing.

Putting 703 across the corner doesn't do much for me - a slot resonator for one adds a new reflective angle (thus reducing bass buildup) PLUS it absorbs the tuned frequencies.

cheers
john
J.J.McLeod

Post by J.J.McLeod »

Interesting. I never thought of the additional reflective surface reducing bass buildup. Can you explain how that works? If the bass is being absorbed, not reflected, by the slats, isn't the corner still a corner (minus the slot absorption) as far as bass is concerned?

Thanks,

J.J.

J.J. McLeod
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

well in a slot resonator most of the surface is that slats, the gaps and cloth account for a small percent of the surface, so you have in fact taken out the corner, like adding another wall, sure you've added another two corners but they are much wider and of a greater angle.

cheers
john
J.J.McLeod

Post by J.J.McLeod »

Cool stuff. Thanks John!

J.J.

J.J. McLeod