Soffit mounting, bass reflex and subwoofers

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

studiotools

Soffit mounting, bass reflex and subwoofers

Post by studiotools »

Hi,

I am reading this excellent website since a few days and I am quite impressed about the high discussion standard here!

I would like to ask if anyone can give advise, if it makes sense to soffit mount Dynaudio BM12a? The reason of asking is, because they do have the bass reflex 'exhaust' on the rear. So when I soffit mount them some of the important bass is beeing emitted in the back where the absorbers are placed.

So:

1. Can I soffit mount Speakers that do have the bass reflex tube on the rear ?

2. What do I have to take care of when I like to suffit mount my subwoofer (ADAM SubP, 10" active, bass reflex to front)
EK Sound

Post by EK Sound »

I would not recommend soffit mounting rear ported speakers. It would drastically affect the way they sound.

Dave.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you could soffit mount them but besides the rear port, you also have to consider the baffle plate which has to fit snuggly to the contour of the speaker which is somewhat tricky in the case of the BM12. i wouldn't soffit mount the sub. in your case, i'd say stick with stands for the monitors and leave the sub out so you can move it if needed to get the right response.
Glenn