John's Soffit Design & Decoupling

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

delusion

John's Soffit Design & Decoupling

Post by delusion »

I'm planning on soffit mounting my monitors based on John's design that floats all around this site (see pic below).

While I have a pretty decent understanding of the soffit reasons and principles, one thing in this design leaves me confused. It appears that the speaker is not decoupled in any way. It looks like it's just sitting in the "external" box which itself is then just sitting on the shelf which has a direct flanking path to the entire structure including the front baffle because it shares the framing.

If I were to decouple the speaker via neoprene, where would I put it? Below the speaker itself but inside the "external speaker box"? OR below the "external" box itself between it and the shelf?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

wrapped around the speaker so its a snug fit. sorbathane sylomer etc are also good choices. you need to pick a weight/hardness value which allows for some compression of the material but leaves enough spring without being loose.
Glenn
delusion

Post by delusion »

Thanks for the replay Glenn.

I'm confused by your response though. You don't mean neoprene (or equiv.) wrapped around the speaker do you?

I modified John's pic below to illustrate the two options I was talking about. Please advise me if I'm way off in my understanding of it, otherwise would option A or option B be preferred?

Also, I'm shooting for about an 1/8 inch compression of the neoprene correct?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if you use the material all around the sides of the speaker to get a slightly snug fit, plus sealed, you'll be better off then having the speaker contact any of the wood box directly. you could just use the rubber on the bottom and then some insulation around the edges of the speaker if that works for you.
Glenn