Alternative to 703

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Edo Peters

Alternative to 703

Post by Edo Peters »

In my part of the world (Dutch Caribbean) there's unfortunately only one product available from Owens Corning and that is R-11. Is this stuff (3.5 inches thick is what I found in big rolls in bags) suitable to replace the 703 you fine people keep mentioning? The only other thing available here is Rockwool, but that is only 2 inches thick and as far as I could find not nearly as dense as the OC...

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Edo
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

check on Bob Golds absorption coefficient page (google it) for a comparison of products.
Glenn
Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

Thank you very much Glenn! I have that page in front of me/before me now!
Regards,

Edo
Ro

Post by Ro »

Isover and Rock-wool are what you might look for.
(check out the isover sonepanel for example)
Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

--text deleted double post by accident---
Last edited by Edo Peters on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Edo
Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

They don't carry Isover... they have 2 inch Rockwool available and the fluffy pink OC R-11 I mentioned before.

(Dutch to Ro)
Je denkt toch niet dat hier op de Antillen alles beschikbaar is wat in Nederland wel te krijgen is hé? ;-)

Cheers,
Regards,

Edo
Ro

Post by Ro »

Edo Peters wrote:They don't carry Isover... they have 2 inch Rockwool available and the fluffy pink OC R-11 I mentioned before.

(Dutch to Ro)
Je denkt toch niet dat hier op de Antillen alles beschikbaar is wat in Nederland wel te krijgen is hé? ;-)

Cheers,
Dat wordt importeren dus, haha :)
Rockwool has pretty much the thing you need. 2" panels can also be stacked to make a 4" panel, eh ;)
Edo Peters

Post by Edo Peters »

Ro, thanks buddy...

I wasn't worried I couldn't stack the 2 inch Rockwool to achieve 4 inch... my main concern was the density of the stuff. I'm about 2 hours and 50 minutes flight from Miami, so flying there and deliver loads of OC products to a sea freighter taking it to Curaçao for me is also an option. The thing is if the shipping costs are way more than the actual retail price of the materials... then what's the point. Looking for alternatives might be more sensible. I also asked the company that (only) carries the OC R-11 over here whether they could get me a bunch of 703 or the like... if water could burn, THAT'S what their faces looked like when I suggested it to them. I felt like I was communicating in hieroglyphs...

Sometimes this island is a third... no fourth world country :?
Regards,

Edo