Dynaudio AIR 20s

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

frostgfx

Dynaudio AIR 20s

Post by frostgfx »

Does anyone else on the forum use Dynaudio AIR 20s or similar monitors for main CR monitoring Stereo and/or 5.1 Surround.

I am at the stage where I need to make a final decision on Mains monitors. My space is roughly 16' on two sides with the front wall being a 3 panel affair with the speakers soffit mounted above a double glass wall.

I am running a Yamaha DM2000 Console, Cubase 4/Nuendo 4 through a MAC PRO and MOTU 20 I/O A/D.

I like the fact that the AIR 20s are networkable and have a software system for speaker set-up/alignment/balancing, etc. The part I get hung up on is that they might be TOO MUCH for the space...

I plan on mixing a sane levels since this is where I find I get the best results, rather than blaring them at 11!.

I'd appreciate any feedback from other AIR 20 users, or if anyone has another suggestion for a 5.1 Surround system, I'm all ears. Budget is $18K max.

Thanks so much,

Jon
iamryancork

Dyn's

Post by iamryancork »

Hi there,
I own a set of AIR 20's and use them for 5.1, and as a stereo set as my CR Mains, with a pro tools setup running on a Mac Pro. I love them, and I don't think you'll have a problem with them being too much for your room. In fact, they run a little on the soft side for me. I like to monitor fairly loud compared to most so it sounds like at your levels, you'll be fine. The software set that comes with them is pretty comprehensive, but there is more available on the Dynaudio website. I've found that in my system there is less bass available than I need for my room, (I have a 3 foot deep broadband trap in the rear of my room, that sucks up a lot of stuff), I only have one sub right now and I'm considering getting another sub to fill it out a little. I'm always trying to compensate the bass on my mixes and they end up being a little too full. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'd love to help. But overall, I love the speakers, and the software interface is as user-friendly as can be.