electrical considerations...

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

TomM

electrical considerations...

Post by TomM »

Unfortunately I got Rod Gervais's book a little late for the noise concerns around high/low voltage wiring. I've wired in some outlets behind drywall so that it's not going to be so easy to undo what I did. I'm wondering how bad off I am...

I have 6 outlets where my mixing desk will go. I was planning to use these to power my monitors and my outboard. This was going to have it's own circuit breaker in my breaker panel. I have another 4 sets of outlets around the room for other things... amplifiers/keyboards/lamp. This was also going to have it's own circuit breaker in my breaker panel.

I have run the wiring high for one and low for the other. My issue is that I've decided that I'd rather keep my computer outside of my studio. I will have to run low voltage wiring from my computer to my converter box (as well as cables for my monitor and keyboard).

If I run this parallel, in-between the wiring I already have in place (so about 3 feet away from either wire I already have in place), am I going to run into noise problems? I will have to cross over (perpendicularly) the lower wire as well, but I should be able to keep them at least a foot apart where they cross each other.

My other question is around how many circuit breakers I should install? I will have wiring for my baseboard heat, my ventilation fan, the outlets behind the mixing desk, and the outlets around the room for amplifiers/keyboards/lamp.

I was thinking about having my ventilation fan/baseboard heat on one side of my panel (using the same circuit breaker) and all the other outlets (split between 2 circuit breakers) on the other side of my panel. Is this ideal? I do have the room in my breaker panel, but I wonder if i'm over-doing it? Or if I should also have my baseboard heaters and ventilation fan on separate circuit breakers?
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

If the AC power line uses both it's hot and neutral conductors and does not go to CFL bulbs or light dimmers or big SMPS power supplies, 1 foot should be plenty. Power lines that only use 1 conductor (like from a light switch) could be a problem. Don't be to neat with in-wall power lines or speaker cable, make sure that they have twists. On your circuit panel box, ( for US split-phase systems ) if you wire the heaters and stuff to one phase and the studio stuff to the other phase, you should be good. Remember that on a US panel the breakers alternate phase.