Should I change ?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Addni

Should I change ?

Post by Addni »

Hello there, i bought a pair of M-Audio BX8a monitors last august, and they sound great. When I was at the store i compared them to most of the M-Audio line (most except for the EX66, which was not at the store at the time, and was out of my price range anyway) and KRK Rokit RP5, RP6 and RP8 (non of the KRK's were connected to a sub) and in my and my friends opinion the sounded by far the best. We took a laptop on played some of the songs we listen to mostly. The M-Audios BX8a sounded in our opinion the most naturally, and the KRK Rokit RP8 sounded a bit flat (well a lot flat compared to the BX8's) but now I'm starting to regret a bit taking the BX8's, I'm starting to be afraid that they are to colorful (color the sound to much), although they gave the sweetest sound in the store they might not be correct.

After seeing KRK's in more and more studios I'm starting to think of replacing my m-audio's with KRK VXT-8, being almost sure they are more correct and less colorful.
The new M-Audio EX66 also look real nice, but comparing them in the store with the KRK VXT-8 I think i have kind of the same thing as comparing the M-Audio BX8a with the KRK Rokit RP8, the M-Audio sounds sweeter, but I think the KRK is more correct and accurate. If I remember correctly the EX66

The price of the VXT-8 is just a bit above BX8a + BX10 Subwoofer (which I have also been thinking about getting)

I've sometimes stopped believing my BX8a after bouncing my mix and playing it in my car, laptop speakers and ipod. They just sound so different that I'm often kind of disappointed. I've sometimes given up and mixed through my HD-25 headphones to get, what I felt was the more correct sound of the mix.

does anyone have any experience in those two brands (those two and Behringer are the only ones which i can get at the local store)
MacBook Pro - Presonus Firepod - Logic Studio