Extra shielding around outside of snake cable?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Andyman

Extra shielding around outside of snake cable?

Post by Andyman »

Hey Everybody,

What are your thoughts on the Following:

A: Constructing a trough out of 2 or 3 layers of sheet lead for extra shielding to encase a snake/bundle of mic cables.

B: Wrapping a couple of layers of lead tape around a snake cable/bunde of mic cables.

Would either option help To reject Interference in cases where the interference is more prevelent on longer cable runs?
If so, How effective would it be?

How much better is the rejection when comparing say a 50' Mogami cable to a Run of the Mill cheap store brand cable like say Yorkville?
"When life hands you a lemon, break out the tequila and the salt" (and then find a solution later)
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Lead is great for blocking sound and X-rays, but for shielding I thing that a soft steel pipe would work better.
DCinFrance

Post by DCinFrance »

I'll go out on a limb here as I'm not an electrician, but for shielding of any kind to be effective must go to earth ground.
Honor is a debt you owe to those that see it in you.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

What you're referring to is a faraday cage. It's usually a copper mesh (panels) and are attached together and grounded.

Problem with these though...EXPENSIVE, and to really be effective, you would have to shield the entire studio.
Andyman

Post by Andyman »

thanks for the info fellas
"When life hands you a lemon, break out the tequila and the salt" (and then find a solution later)
EK Sound

Re: Extra shielding around outside of snake cable?

Post by EK Sound »

As Speedskater mentioned, lead will be useless for RF / EMF sheilding. Plain old galvanized HVAC ducting would do fine if properly bonded to each other, then subsequently grounded. The only benefit I can see this being is if you are in a high interference area (close to a cell tower or radio tranmitter), and your cable runs are several hundred feet. Using higher quality cable will provide better results with a lower cost in the end. Wrapping the snake cable in sheilding would increase its capacitance and you would lose high end response over distance.

Dave.
Andyman wrote:Hey Everybody,

What are your thoughts on the Following:

A: Constructing a trough out of 2 or 3 layers of sheet lead for extra shielding to encase a snake/bundle of mic cables.

B: Wrapping a couple of layers of lead tape around a snake cable/bunde of mic cables.

Would either option help To reject Interference in cases where the interference is more prevelent on longer cable runs?
If so, How effective would it be?

How much better is the rejection when comparing say a 50' Mogami cable to a Run of the Mill cheap store brand cable like say Yorkville?
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

The capacitance will be between this pipe and the snakes shield. Both are at or near ground potential so it won't affect high frequency response.