Nearfield ?????

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

mutation

Nearfield ?????

Post by mutation »

Am I the last person on the planet who does not own a pair of nearfield monitors?
I have a set of JBL 4411 & Infinity RSb am I missing out on anything not having nearfields?

Rgds

Ross
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Depends, Ross - what's your CR look like, how are your JBL's set, and what do you do?

I do mostly training video these days, use KRK's and a small sub but ALWAYS make mix decisions on small TV speakers first, larger ones second due to the intended use... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
mutation

Post by mutation »

knightfly wrote:Depends, Ross - what's your CR look like, how are your JBL's set, and what do you do?

I do mostly training video these days, use KRK's and a small sub but ALWAYS make mix decisions on small TV speakers first, larger ones second due to the intended use... Steve
Studio is under construction but have run out of money so it is all on hold ATM. I have had the JBL's for 25 years and they are booked in to have the foam surrounds replaced. The Infinitys are still going strong.
I mostly do Ambient Electronic stuff these days but am using more and more field recordings of various things and want to work towards the use of more acoustic instruments.
I think I will look into the Nearfield thing but I think I am just a bit "Old School" when it comes to that sort of equipment.

Rgds

Ross
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Ross,

Where abouts are you?

ChrisO 8)
Music creates a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without.
mutation

Post by mutation »

Ausrock wrote:Ross,

Where abouts are you?

ChrisO 8)
Foothills of the Blue Mountains north west of Sydney. Why ?

Ross
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Just idle curiousity :wink: .....I'm up in N'cle. It appears that like me, your budget is either very limited or virtually non-existant but one thing "nearfieldish" I've been watching is a DIY pair made by one of the guys in Sydney. They have a small, cheap, BUT good quality Aust., made 60Watt amp in each cabinet with a small, high quality driver which ain't real cheap.

You can see details here and in the first post there's a link to the amp manufacturer's forum where there are pics, etc........: http://www.turtlerockmastering.com/foru ... 61065515e2

Cheers,

ChrisO 8)
Music creates a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without.
mutation

Post by mutation »

Ausrock wrote:Just idle curiousity :wink: .....I'm up in N'cle. It appears that like me, your budget is either very limited or virtually non-existant but one thing "nearfieldish" I've been watching is a DIY pair made by one of the guys in Sydney. They have a small, cheap, BUT good quality Aust., made 60Watt amp in each cabinet with a small, high quality driver which ain't real cheap.

You can see details here and in the first post there's a link to the amp manufacturer's forum where there are pics, etc........: http://www.turtlerockmastering.com/foru ... 61065515e2

Cheers,

ChrisO 8)
The budget is variable it comes and goes with other expenses and the movements of the stockmarket. As most of my music is Electronic I am more focussed of music equipment than the studio. It will happen as it is being built as part of a renovation of the whole floor anyway.

Ross