Suffit mounting Event ALP 5s

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

eyvindur

Suffit mounting Event ALP 5s

Post by eyvindur »

Quick question:
I have an excellent pair of Event ALP5 monitors. Is anybody familiar with these enough to tell me whether soffit mounting these is a good idea?
brianrcdd

Post by brianrcdd »

Wondering this myself, as I also have a pair. Maybe somebody has already tried it, but I have not.
Brian

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist." - G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
eyvindur

Post by eyvindur »

Does nobody know anything about this? I'm just about to start designing my studio to the T, and I need to know whether I should soffit mount or not...

Specs

Thanks
gareth.h.rees

Post by gareth.h.rees »

From what I've gathered - All square boxed speakers benefit from soffit mounting. However, those ALP5's have a moulded front which is going to make it difficult as the speaker face needs to be flush with the bezel (front face of soffit).

Do a search on mounting Adam monitors as these have a similar front moulding and some have successfully implemented soffit mounting them.

I'd say they're probably not too suitable, unless you're up for quite a bit of head scratching to make a bezel that fits around them properly.

Gareth

[Edit] P.S. - People have lots to do, leaving a morning for someone to answer your post before asking again won't help. Be patient, for studio building its a VITAL skill :D :D
eyvindur

Post by eyvindur »

By "flush", do you mean that it can't extend out by a few mm? (I'm actually very fluent in English and work as a translator, but I'm encountering a lot of new terms on this site ;) ). How does that affect the sound? Every other surface is flat, and there would not be air gaps between the bezel and the monitor (I checked, those sides don't have the slightest curve to them).
eyvindur

Post by eyvindur »

gareth.h.rees wrote:Be patient, for studio building its a VITAL skill :D :D
Yeah, possibly the most vital skill there is... However, I'm not a very patient man by nature... ;)

I will try to control myself, though.

Thanks for your help.
gareth.h.rees

Post by gareth.h.rees »

eyvindur wrote:
gareth.h.rees wrote:Be patient, for studio building its a VITAL skill :D :D
Yeah, possibly the most vital skill there is... However, I'm not a very patient man by nature... ;)

I will try to control myself, though.

Thanks for your help.
Don't worry I know the feeling :lol:

Also it was just a pointer - you'll get a lot of help on this forum, just have good manners like you would in real life :D

Anyway, moving onto the soffits, yes, the speaker should be completely level with the front of the bezel, not like the image shown.

The problem with the ALP5's is that the front face of the speaker is curved (or at least appears so)

Does this make sense for you? If not I'll have another go at explaining :D

P.S - I thought you were naturally English - didn't even notice you were from Iceland: :oops: :D
gareth.h.rees

Post by gareth.h.rees »

The problem is with the ALP the front section is not "flat" so would stick out as shown by the green arrows. The red lines indicate where the bezel of the soffit would end.
eyvindur

Post by eyvindur »

Yup, makes perfect sense. The front is slightly curved (I haven't measured it, but I think it's no more than about 4mm). Well, not really curved... It's more of a ridge. I just figured that, since this is something that goes out beyond the woofer, rather than actually placing the woofer and tweeter futher out, it wouldn't matter. But I could even be wrong about that.

I'll look up those Adams and contemplate this a bit further.

Thanks for your compliments regarding my english, by the way. I do try my best. And usually I'm quite fluent. Just not when it comes to building stuff...

And I'm awfully sorry if I came off as being impolite. I do try to be considerate and respectful. Especially here, since all this outstanding help being given all over the place here - and for free no less - definately deserves the deepest and fondest respect. I've learned more from this site than anything else in the world ever about anything there is... Well... Sort of... So to anybody who might have taken the smallest offence, I do apologize.

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers,
Eyvi
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i think it should be fine. part of what you're trying to avoid is diffraction effects and the curved face of the monitor should be ok since it would be a smooth transition onto the baffle of the soffit.
Glenn
gareth.h.rees

Post by gareth.h.rees »

eyvindur wrote:Yup, makes perfect sense. The front is slightly curved (I haven't measured it, but I think it's no more than about 4mm). Well, not really curved... It's more of a ridge. I just figured that, since this is something that goes out beyond the woofer, rather than actually placing the woofer and tweeter futher out, it wouldn't matter.

I'll look up those Adams and contemplate this a bit further.

Thanks for your compliments regarding my english, by the way. I do try my best. And usually I'm quite fluent. Just not when it comes to building stuff...

And I'm awfully sorry if I came off as being impolite. I do try to be considerate and respectful. Especially here, since all this outstanding help being given all over the place here - and for free no less - definately deserves the deepest and fondest respect. I've learned more from this site than anything else in the world ever about anything there is... Well... Sort of... So to anybody who might have taken the smallest offence, I do apologize.

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers,
Eyvi
Ahhh no offence taken at all! :)
just a playful remark:D

As I'm not at all an expert at this (all my knowledge is from here too!) I don't know what to suggest about the monitors now - if the woofer is level then perhaps the small curvature won't make any difference?

You might find some useful info regarding the Adams though - hope you do!

Good luck!
Gareth
eyvindur

Post by eyvindur »

Ok... That's what I thought, but since this is pretty much like french to me (that is, I speak a little pidgin, but can't express myself) I just wanted to make sure before going through all that trouble, in case it would then suck... So I'll take my chances then.

Thanks so much, guys.

Eyvi