Finished Garage to Single Live Room Tracking Studio

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

moron shmuck

Finished Garage to Single Live Room Tracking Studio

Post by moron shmuck »

Step 1:
Remove drywall from the ceiling and non-concrete walls and inspect.

The ceiling has paper-side-down R30 fiberglass in it and the joists are only 9" deep.

Step 2:
Reverse the fiberglass in the joists so the paper is up.
Purpose: Illusion of a higher ceiling due to broadband extensive absorption.

Reference:
p. 214 of the Master Handbook of Acoustics 4th Edition by F. Alton Everest; the absorption curve with paper up will be essentially flat above some cut point - for R19 which is 6" thick, it would be above 250hz. With the paper down, the absorption drops off precipitously above 250hz. Interestingly, While the cut point for R11 (same density but only 3.5" thick) is 500hz, the peak absorption is slightly higher. Extrapolating to my circumstance: namely, R30 smushed into 9", I would guess that the slightly increased density will be inconsequential and the cut point will be slightly lower than 250hz due to the added thickness.

Next step:
The exposed fiberglass between the joists will be stabilized with string and two layers of burlap supported by furring strips to form the ceiling. The burlap should not significantly alter sound transmission.

Unless instructed to cease and desist by moderators, I will post pictures, text, and the computations used to determine the acoustic characteristics of each constructed acoustic component as this project is completed. The entire plan includes a plywood floor, diffractals, hemerholtz absorbers, angled resonant absorbers, enclosures for the drumset, piano and guitars so they don't resonate while recording other things, and a workspace with racks that swing out for access to the backs of rack gear. Fortunately, all the songs are written.

To rediscover the excitement of learning, read the Master Handbook of Acoustics, fourth edition.

Sincerely,
Nat.
moron shmuck

Post by moron shmuck »

Sorry - pictures resized.