soundproofing.org says foam tape better than RC! huh?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Glad you're getting useful info from my blatherings :? Now, if I could get you to update your profile with a general location, that would be one less minor headache for me - thanks...

As far as doors are concerned, no door that's affordable by normal people will keep up with a decent wall construction. That's why most of the designs you see here have at least two doors between areas of concern. You can get single doors that will give STC of up to about 58, they're made by Overly, and they are "Overly" expensive. Say right around $5,000 per door, give or take a few $...

The best way to handle this is to put in an airlock with two doors, each as well sealed as possible. Somewhere I have info on reasonable door seals (well, almost reasonable, around $2-300 per door, you supply the door)

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/prod ... l_kits.asp

Found it -

You want solid core exterior doors, they're 1-3/4" thick instead of 1-3/8" thick, and not hollow. The simplest way is to get prehung doors, but if there are any hollow extrusions in the framing they must be filled with caulk or isolation goes bye bye. Probably the surest way to do this is to talk to Acoustical Solutions and find out what kind of doors they recommend for their seal kits, that way you're both on the "same page" -

Remember, door knobs transmit sound. Find a way to leave them out of your design; one way is to put closers on doors, then put a "barn door handle" on one side only, so you don't penetrate the door with either screws or a (gasp) hole.

If you can pour your studio slab as a separate unit, DO IT!!! Flanking noise is the hardest to track down and kill of anything. You can put even 3-4 layers of 30# building felt between the two areas, anything that will break the hard contact. Make sure no concrete bridges this gap. Later you can fill the crack with silicone caulk. You want NOTHING bridging the two areas that is solid, like a continuous board, etc -

Later... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

FYI - here's a pretty good source for laminating drywall screws - they're a little less than a dollar a pound:

http://www.fantastic-tools.com/PAGES/loose_screws.htm

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Rod, thanks for that link - could you please post it in the Materials forum as well? I don't seem to have tools to move just one post, only a whole thread. Thanks again... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Bulls Hit

Post by Bulls Hit »

knightfly wrote: As far as doors are concerned, no door that's affordable by normal people will keep up with a decent wall construction. That's why most of the designs you see here have at least two doors between areas of concern. You can get single doors that will give STC of up to about 58, they're made by Overly, and they are "Overly" expensive. Say right around $5,000 per door, give or take a few $...

The best way to handle this is to put in an airlock with two doors, each as well sealed as possible.
Later... Steve
Steve thanks again for the info....profile updated.

It seems that the door situation will compromise the STC I'd planned for. I have the option of putting the door on an external wall instead of having internal access, so isolation is less of an issue. However security is more of a concern if I do this.

It does seem like all the effort put into walls, ceiling and floor is negated to a large extent by window and door issues, unless an airlock is part of the solution
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

You're right about doors/windows - do you have a design posted? Maybe we can help... Steve