Soundproofing suggestions needed

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

somedood

Soundproofing suggestions needed

Post by somedood »

My wife and I recently purchased a side-by-side duplex, we are currently living in one side and renting the other. There is a cinderblock wall separating both sides, which has been smoothed with possibly plaster and painted. There are 2 bedrooms, which border each other (the cinderblock wall separating them).

The previous tenants were usually loud talkers at night, and their radio alarm clock would wake us up in the mornings (they used the sleep feature liberally), and it became very annoying. I have never heard their TV, washer, dryer, etc. that are in other rooms, only when we are both in the bedrooms that are opposite each other and our heads are next to the wall (the head of both of our beds was up against the same wall).

I would like to quiet down the sound as much as possible, for both our sanity and the sanity of new tenants - we have a baby on the way. I was thinking of fastening furring strips to the wall, fastening drywall to that, green glue, then another layer of drywall. Would this be effective?