If you could please point me on the right angle?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Sound byte

If you could please point me on the right angle?

Post by Sound byte »

I have allocated approximately 1300mm for the distance for the soffit mount speakers.
I do not have the funds for the speakers as yet but I need to make the walls to contain the speakers so I then can finish the desk.

So what angle do you think is best/ 22 degrees? 30 degrees? 60 degrees?

I am hoping for the ideal spot to listen as near to the desk as possible.

Any help greatly appreciated even where I can look for further advise. Thanks guys.
Sound byte

Post by Sound byte »

front view
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Here are a few bits of information I’ve collected along the way…

• Mix position roughly 38% of total room length from the front wall
• Soffits angled 30 deg. in from a flat wall result in speaker baffles being perpendicular to the two legs of equilateral triangle comprised of two speaker centers and a point about 10" behind your head
• The baffle extension (the face of the soffit) should be as large as you can make it, up to about 45" in each direction from the woofer in a system with a LF cutoff of around 45 Hz - There's a formula based on LF cutoff that ensures full 2 pi response for the woofer if the baffle is at least the size obtained in the formula's solution
• Distance to wall behind speakers will change response drastically - there is a wall bounce calculator on the Acoustics forum that's fun to play with (needs Excel)
• Moving either speakers or your head by as little as an inch or two can sometimes make drastic changes in response, due to modal peaks and dips.
• Left/right room symmetry (at least within a foot or two of ear height) is important for good stereo imaging.
• Equilateral triangle formed by left, right, mix position
• Monitor angles 60 degrees
• Monitor height – avoid mid point of floor to ceiling measurement – either sit higher or lower if necessary
• Angled side absorption panels – left/right of mix position

Hope this helps,

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
Sound byte

Post by Sound byte »

Thank you so much for your response. I have viewed many threads here and seen the volume of help you have given to others, (and myself). The information you have provided is just what I wanted. I hope that I can help others yet I am still green and on a sharp learning curve. Thanks again. :D