Monitor Advice

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

djrinsa

Monitor Advice

Post by djrinsa »

Hey everyone

Im just in the process of building a home studio, already ordered everything up but the last thing I need to decide on is which monitor speakers to go for - There is just so much choice around and im stuck, especially as these are the first ones I have bought.

Ive heard good things about the BX8as and had also heard a lot of things about the KRK RP6s, the Spirit Absolute 2's have been mentioned too - problem is, the moment I think I have decided on one, I read a bad review and im back to square one! Anyone got any veiws on these monitors or are there any other recommendations I should seriously consider? I have a budget of about £300, and it will be used for producing all sorts of dance music. Amp must be active.

Thanks in advance and its a pleasure to be here
bassman

Post by bassman »

You will find good and bad reviews of every speaker made out there. The bottom line is that you need to try several pairs in the same space to really make a good decision. Sounds like you have a nice shootout brewing between the speaker you have mentioned. I would add a pair of PMC's to the mix, whatever you can afford.

-ashley
soguale

mid field montor

Post by soguale »

Hello friends this is my first post here.
I own a project studio, I have a ns10 pair, and i´m looking for an Active mid field monitor . let´s say 10 inch woofer, my budget is around U$S 900.
Can any body recommend any truly pair.
Thanks
Sorry about my english I speak spanish.
:shock:
Acoustic for recoding studios
Nikodemos

Post by Nikodemos »

Hi everybody....i've worked with quite a few monitors and i think that getting a good monitor ,together with a good sounding room, is the first thing to go for....
My choise would be either the Mackies HR824 or the Genelec 1031
a bit over your budget but if you can afford them instead of buing some new plug in or something....go for it!!
Monitoring is the most critikal part of the recording chain and that's why most home recordings sound.....well...home made!!
For the record i own the Mackies and a pair of NS10 but i would never recomend the Yamaha's to anyone as they are too hard to get used to their sound and responce...they are excellent for spotting some midrange details in the mix and they look great on the meterbridge too!!! but that's just about it....in the world of digital recording,extended bandwidth and dynamic range NS10 would not be a good idea....
cheers
Nikodemos
andrebrito

Post by andrebrito »

tannoy reveal
Studio Design, Home Cinema/Studios Assistance, Large Room Acoustics projects. Acoustical Products

http://www.onlineacoustics.com
soguale

MONITOR OPTION

Post by soguale »

My choise would be either the Mackies HR824 or the Genelec 1031
a bit over your budget but if you can afford them instead of buing some new plug in or something....go for it!!

Hello Thanks , one more q...
could this be some good options?

A*
Yamaha 2.1 Active Nearfield Monitoring System - Two HS80M 8" Monitors and One HS10W 8" Subwoofer Price : $1,098.90

B*
JBL LSR-4328PPAK - Pair of LSR-4328P Nearfield Monitors with LSR4300 Accessory Kit Price : $1,399.00
C*
KRK Price : $599.00 (each)
VXT8 - 180W 8" Two-Way Active Studio Monitor (Single)

Do you prefer the mackies over those monitors?

Thanks again :lol:
Acoustic for recoding studios
Nikodemos

Post by Nikodemos »

well actually i do prefer the mackies over other nearfield monitors...at the ones i've listened to :?
However i don't think the use of a sub (like the Yamaha you've mentioned) to be a good idea in music recording. The subs allways lie adding impressive low end .....and you want the truth while you're mixing.
I've only listened once to a JBL LSR systemand it sounded pretty good but i don't know which model it was plus i wasn't familiar with the room...so i can't really help with this :( ...however i think JBL is a reliable brand ....so i think it's a matter of taste.
I think the best way is to try to listen to the monitors you are interested in with material similar to the one you'll be recording.
I prefer the mackies and the Genelec because they're sounding quite "big" and impressive without being "liars" if you know what i mean..
i think the midrange and low end in the mackies are very detailed allowing a crystall clear vision of what's happening in the risky and critical range of lower middle (200 - 600Hz) while the Genelecs have the best stereo image i've ever listened too...
Hope it's been helping :)
N