One room studio sketch

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

TamaSabian

One room studio sketch

Post by TamaSabian »

Hi, it´s been a while since my las post. I´m writing from Lima, Peru. I want you to now that I´ve spent some hours trying to figure out how to work with sketchup. Finally I got something closer to what I want for my homestudio. I need some help and got two questions:
1. If you look the drawing you´ll see something that represents a concrete joist (near to bass trap) behind the studio desk. I´ll have 4 little corners that might be treated. What should I do with them?. Maybe I should use drywall or mdf and raise a false wall covering the joist.
2. I´m planning to use http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4581 acoustic panels. I like superchunks but you can´t find 4" 703 panels around here. Just 2" and it will make them cost double. There´s a chance that I could afford them, but I would like to know if 2" 703 panels are just fine, I´ll have to use 6 panels for a 24" cut superchunk, and it´s expensive you know... :(
Please let me know what you think
Thanks
Alfonso
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

the corner absorber should work and if you find you still need more treatment you can add to it over time as your budget allows. I like the idea of the false wall behind the console to even out the space. you could take it further and route slats into it and make it a slot resonator wall and line the back with cloth and some regular insulation.
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Thanks for your comments Glenn. Do you think that the false wall should be done first??. I mean is this a priority??. Due to my budget I was planning to build the bass traps for the five corners, install a carpet for the floor and the do a false ceiling with acoustic tiles.
Thanks
Alfonso
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i think you have it right. the false wall can be done after the other work.
Glenn
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

I´ve been doing numbers to calculate how much it will cost to have my room with a very basic treatment. Due to a restricted availability of 4" 703 panels in my country, I´m forced to use half measure (only 2" panels). It means that if I want 5 superchunks I have to buy double of 703 panels. Is there any chance to reduce my costs??, what if I build just a corner trap not as shown in my picture??. Maybe another way to cut the panels could help me. Let me know what you think
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

maybe you have access to other insulation similar to the 703 that will be less expensive? check here http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

if not, build a trap across the corners can work. plywood routed or 1x lumber and regular insulation. John has plans for corner absorbers on http://www.johnlsayers.com/HR/index1.htm.
Glenn
tmix

Post by tmix »

Right!
Maybe something like mineral wool is cheaper in your area. It is half the price of compressed fiberglass (in Texas anyway) and in a fixed installation like yours it would work well.

On a second note .... once you start looking at building the false wall it may be able to be used for an equipment room for mounting power amps and computers to keep them quiet.

Obviously the downside would be you would want to ventilate it someway for the heat build up and a door or panel for accessing stuff .
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Thnx TMix that´s exactly what I´m looking now. I was afraid that being for industrial use it won´t work or it was too much. I found this kind of material here. The panels are of 1 x 0.60 and 4" thick. Tasman is the brand, it costs half the price compared to compressed fiberglass.
:)
This are the traps I´ll do. http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4581
They look very simple to me, I´m not quite good with tools but I think I can do them.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Alfonso
kevin kitchel

Post by kevin kitchel »

Alfonso from the Relapse board?
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Hi, I´m getting ready with all materials needed to build bass traps and drop ceiling. Doing some calculations I found a problem with measures. The fiberglass panels I found here are 1mts x 0.60 cms, the ceiling height is 2.40 mts. Do I have to install a lower drop ceiling in order to meet the panels??, so they can cover all the corner. Or leaving almost 0.25 cmts without absorption should be fine??.
Hope you can give me your comments.
Thanks
Alfonso
tmix

Post by tmix »

Alfonso,

Although it is better to cover the complete corner up to the ceiling it will still work well to leave some space either end or push it up to the ceiling.

Are you going to put any panels on your ceiling?
If you think you are going to some day you may want to space the corner absorber accordingly.

I built a bunch of the panels like you are doing and spaced the corner ones down just enough to let the ceiling panels touch them.
I suspended the ceiling panels by chains though because I had some extra height where I could afford to space them about 6 inches away from the ceiling.

You might be able to do a search here for my build pictures (tmix studio diary... I think) or you can see a little at my web site: www.tmixstudio.com

Tom
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

I don´t think I´ll do. It looks a little bit complicated for a guy who´s not good with tools. It will be a great achievement to build the traps. Please don´t ask me to hang them!! :lol:
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

There´s something I didn´t tell you. I´ll be recording a local band on july. I make a deal with them so I could set the room with the basics for decent recording, I won´t make any money with this deal but I´ll have my homestudio ready to go. As you may see in the picture posted, what I consider as basic is carpeted floor, drop ceiling and corner traps. I know that there are a lot of things that has to be done, but I have to start anyway.
Besides walls the door is one of the weakest points of my room. It is hollow and I didn´t consider it into my budget, so it will remain as it is. A contractor told me that neoprene could be used to seal the doorframe. I think it is worthless if the door doesn´t have enough mass.
Do you have any low cost solution to improve my door??.
Thanks
Alfonso
tmix

Post by tmix »

Alfonso
I think you know already!
You are right in thinking that the hollow core door even if sealed perfectly does not have enough mass to quiet any noise above anything more than the sound of your computer fan or something of similar volume.

Eventually there are ways to build up the mass, but I will leave that to those who are more experienced at that.

My opinion anyway.

Tom
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
TamaSabian

Post by TamaSabian »

Tom, I found on Rod Gervais book that commercial tiles are useless for isolation. It makes sense because there is no enough mass on each tile in order to isolate something. Now what??. I´ve read your previous post when you told me about hanging panels on the ceiling. I´m looking for the best cost/benefit relation. Working with a contractor that could install those tiles and make this "commercial" suspended ceiling is expensive, and as far as I´m reading, worthless. I think I´ll go with panels, but I don´t know how much area I should cover, do I have to hang them all over the place??. How about distance between them??. Placing them in the corners and in the center of the room could give me good results??.
I can´t find a diy ceiling isolation or treatment topic, do you know if there´s something available??.
Alfonso
Last edited by TamaSabian on Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.