Monitor Levels

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

the chemist

Monitor Levels

Post by the chemist »

this has been a real thorn in my side lately...

How do i chect ot see if both my monitors are at the same level? even when both pots are at +4dbu, They don't sound equal. My biggest fear is that I'm going deaf.
Politicians are like diapers; they chould be changed often, and for the same reasons.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

a mono signal should sound like it is coming from a phantom speaker midway between the speakers if they are balanced correctly.

Use you ears to measure that ;)

cheers
john
peritus

Post by peritus »

John Sayers wrote:a mono signal should sound like it is coming from a phantom speaker midway between the speakers if they are balanced correctly.

Use you ears to measure that ;)

cheers
john

While what you are saying does make sense, it leaves room for error.

My left ear is slightly damaged from drivng with my window down for so long (white noise).

As a result, signals that are truly centered (I've created custom projects in Pro Tools to test my ears) sound as if they are coming from right of center. And I've tested this with both monitors and headphones. It's very scary, as I'm only 23. However, I feel that the fact that I'm aware of this deficiency will not cripple me as a professional.

Just a thought. Good luck...

Joshua
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,

Sorry to hear about the hearing damage, Josh. I have a similar condition, probably related to being in bands that were too loud without ear protection.

Chemist, what I did was to run a few test tones through the system, (100Hz, 1k, 10k) one speaker at a time, and measured the levels with a SPL meter (Radio Shack Model 33-2055).

Hope that helps,

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

However, I feel that the fact that I'm aware of this deficiency will not cripple me as a professional.
i have a friend who has produced mainstream international selling albums who is totally deaf in one ear ;)

cheers
john
peritus

Post by peritus »

Thanks for the words of encouragement... They are well received..

Good day and good luck...

Joshua
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Let me start off by saying this is very encouraging to me. I've been a musician for years and as of late I've decided to get into studio recording/producing/mastering. I had an accident 2 years ago and now Im about 95% deaf in my right ear. I'm moving to Nashville in December and Im really happy to hear someone has made it being deaf in one ear.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I'm moving to Nashville in December
Roscoe, look me up when you get to town.

Aaron

:D
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Hey any connections will help. I'm trying to brush up on my bass and guitar playing so I can try to make a little money doing demo sessions or live shows as a side musician. I'm good enough to do it but I know its hard to get my name out there.