which budget studio monitors? KRK vs. Yamaha

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Which of these 2 would you buy? vote then explain why!!!

YAMAHA HS50M's
10%
KRK RP-6 (rockit 6's)
90%

Total votes: 10

h0bo4life

which budget studio monitors? KRK vs. Yamaha

Post by h0bo4life »

hey there, I am in the market for some new near field monitors, but with other money my wife has let me spend my budget for the pair of monitors is around 300-500 US $.

I record mostly acoustic guitar and vocals along with a handfull of other instruments tracked individually and listen to music at a soft to moderate level. The monitors that are right for me are a pair that are easy on the ears and pleasant to listen to regular music on in a bedroom sized studio (beatles, zepplin, pink floyd, etc.) I will mix with them about 25% of the time ... (I also mix a little on sennhauser hd 280 pro cans) and listen to music the rest of the time.

I am not dying for monster bass or anything and the two models I have looked at have been: the YAMAHA HS50M and the KRK RP-6 (Rokit 6)

I have A-B'd these and the yamaha's seemed a lot harsher but more accurate.... The rockit's seemed more pleasing to the ear, but in a store i can't tell anything about what they are like to mix on.

I am leaning toward the KRK rockit 6's because they seem nicer to listen too and less tinny or harsh. I can only assume that they are at least half decent to use for near field monitering. I realize the yamahas are flatter and that nothing in this price range is all that great. ANYWAY.... thought somebody here might have a little experience!!! ALso if you have any other models that you swear by go ahead and throw them out there!
.... may the trash be with you.
Bass Rocks

Post by Bass Rocks »

If you can go to the upper-end of your budget, I'd step up to the RP-8's (about $249 each). I have RP-5's and really like them. I'm planning on the RP-8's for my completed studio.

- Andy
kevin kitchel

Post by kevin kitchel »

I would recommend the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 http://www.zzounds.com/item--WHADP82A

Getting a pair of used B&W 601 or 602 speakers. They sound great, and I think your mixes will translate better on either of those.

If you're dead set on one of those two, get the KRKs.
I Annoy

Post by I Annoy »

I got a pair of RP8's 2 weeks ago. Love them.
britune

Post by britune »

Sound On Sound Magazine recently reviewed the JBLs and liked them, but said they were a little forward. They cited the KRKs as one of the best values for the money.
orangenumerik

Post by orangenumerik »

Monitors are a very personal thing, If you can, listen to them then decide. Don't buy on spec or name. Just Listen.
Eric
Orange Numerik
Montreal

Technology is just faster ways to do things we didn't have to do before !
Govinda

Post by Govinda »

I use some good old passive alesis monitor 1's i recently upgraded to version 2 .. i use them with a bryston 4b power amp.. never ever had a problem with my mixes translating. im lucky if my mastering guy adds any more than +2db of anything.
G