Church Contruction

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

josep

Church Contruction

Post by josep »

Hi guys, I just found this site. I do sound in my church and we have about 10,000 worth of equipement and musical instruments.

I have no knowledge in soundprooofing, though. We will be beginning the planning stage to build a new church.....about 300 seats or so.

Does anyone have the time to give me some pointers so I have some ideas what to look out for or ask for when we nail everything down with our architect. Ex....Wall and ceiling material, thickness, etc. Floor rugs vs. titles, etc., etc.

We will be spending around half-a-million dollars in constructin cost alone; so far we're not planning on doing any sound-proofing consultant work.....unless is recommended by our architect.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

JoseP :)
OldDog

Re: Church Contruction

Post by OldDog »

josep wrote:so far we're not planning on doing any sound-proofing consultant work.....unless is recommended by our architect.
Most church building architects know NOTHING about acoustics or sound proofing these days. When you suggest to them some of your requirements for AV they glaze over and look at you as though you're crazy. For most churches they cut acoustic design first thing - or never consider it - and it's a big mistake.

Our old church was building a new building and I told them to get an acoustician and AV design team in there from the beginning. They didn't. Architect drew up the plans, they broke ground, poured the concrete, framed the building, then decided, hmmm... maybe we should get some plans for AV... forget acoustics. Needless to say, it was a mess. The architect had not given enough conduit for AV, so they had to jack hammer out the new foundation to lay more conduit. The flat walled room has about a 5 second flutter echo across it and really limits intelligibilty.

Our current church building has a 2500 person auditorium, has hundreds of thousands in needless gear, 25 foot high gypsum board walls and NO acoustic treatment. There's about a 7 second flutter echo that bounces from side to side! What displaced resources.
OldDog
lowdbrent

Re: Church Contruction

Post by lowdbrent »

OldDog wrote:
josep wrote:so far we're not planning on doing any sound-proofing consultant work.....unless is recommended by our architect.
Most church building architects know NOTHING about acoustics or sound proofing these days. When you suggest to them some of your requirements for AV they glaze over and look at you as though you're crazy. For most churches they cut acoustic design first thing - or never consider it - and it's a big mistake.

Our old church was building a new building and I told them to get an acoustician and AV design team in there from the beginning. They didn't. Architect drew up the plans, they broke ground, poured the concrete, framed the building, then decided, hmmm... maybe we should get some plans for AV... forget acoustics. Needless to say, it was a mess. The architect had not given enough conduit for AV, so they had to jack hammer out the new foundation to lay more conduit. The flat walled room has about a 5 second flutter echo across it and really limits intelligibilty.

Our current church building has a 2500 person auditorium, has hundreds of thousands in needless gear, 25 foot high gypsum board walls and NO acoustic treatment. There's about a 7 second flutter echo that bounces from side to side! What displaced resources.
"Most" is not correct. Some of the best acousticians in the USA are the ones getting the big church jobs here.

Acoustic Dimensions, Russ Berger, etc, etc.

What happens is most churches use the wrong architects for budgetary reasons.